Astro voice actor here

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Bob Gonzalez
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bob Gonzalez » 14 years ago

"TasZero" wrote:Also, kind of unrelated, but I think it is an interesting question none the less.
How much did you know about Astroboy before going into recording. And since the recording did you see any of the new Astroboy works, and what did you think of them.

And out of curiosity, do you think you can still do the voice like you did in the show?

I saw the original black & white series in the sixties while growing up. That's why I jumped at the chance to do the then new color series. I have not seen any of the new Astro Boy works since then. I haven't even seen the feature film yet but plan to very soon. The trailers looked good.

I could definitely do the voice still. It's not that different from my "stage" voice, the one I would use for classical pieces, like Shakespeare. But I did give it a bit of older character - older at that time. Now I'm at least close to Daddy Walrus's real age. How old do you think he's supposed to be? Any hint in any of the episodes?

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 14 years ago

"Bob Gonzalez" wrote:[QUOTE=TasZero;98068]
Also, kind of unrelated, but I think it is an interesting question none the less.
How much did you know about Astroboy before going into recording. And since the recording did you see any of the new Astroboy works, and what did you think of them.

And out of curiosity, do you think you can still do the voice like you did in the show?

I saw the original black & white series in the sixties while growing up. That's why I jumped at the chance to do the then new color series. I have not seen any of the new Astro Boy works since then. I haven't even seen the feature film yet but plan to very soon. The trailers looked good.

I could definitely do the voice still. It's not that different from my "stage" voice, the one I would use for classical pieces, like Shakespeare. But I did give it a bit of older character - older at that time. Now I'm at least close to Daddy Walrus's real age. How old do you think he's supposed to be? Any hint in any of the episodes?[/QUOTE]
Cool, I've yet to see the black and white series. I'll have to track it down at an affordable price. The new Astroboy works may be different to what you have currently seen but they are good in their own ways.
Makes sense you can still do the voice. Now hearing Daddy Walrus doing Shakespeare would be very interesting indeed.
I have no idea what his exact age is supposed to be, maybe someone else knows.
Lets back it up nice and slow now...

Bob Gonzalez
Kokoro Robot

"TasZero" wrote:Cool, I've yet to see the black and white series. I'll have to track it down at an affordable price. The new Astroboy works may be different to what you have currently seen but they are good in their own ways.
Makes sense you can still do the voice. Now hearing Daddy Walrus doing Shakespeare would be very interesting indeed.
I have no idea what his exact age is supposed to be, maybe someone else knows.

What are the new Astro Boy works, other than the new movie? I hear something about a 2003 series. Is that right?

I've just requested some episodes of the original 1960s black & white series on DVD from my local public library, if you can believe it. I'll let you know what I think. They seem to have many or most. That will REALLY take me back to when I was in elementary school watching them while lying on my TV room floor. This was the same era I was watching reruns of George Reeves in the old Superman TV series. I just watched SPEEDING THROUGH THE STORM and heard much of the George C. Scott/kabuki actor blend I used for Daddy Walrus, especially when he gets excited, which is most of the time. Perhaps I'll post an mp3 of me reciting a Shakespearean speech in Daddy Walrus's voice. Can you post mp3 files here?

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Yes, there is a new 50 episode series made in 2003, to celebrate Astro's birthday of April 7th 2003.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_Boy_%282003_TV_series%29
Wiki has plenty of information about it. In fact, the collection you linked too in another thread was actually a link to the 2003 series.
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Boy-Collection-Box-Set/dp/B000AQKU6S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272481532&sr=8-4
However, since I am not from America I had to buy mine as a 12 disc volumes, which looks very nice.
If your interested you can also find Astroboy 2003 on youtube, legally.
http://www.youtube.com/show?p=_MNVxbAOetM&s=1
Do note that the episodes are in reverse order, so episode 1 is at the bottom of the list. In fact, they also host the 80's episodes on youtube too
http://www.youtube.com/show?p=rChXdMAkybA
So, if your missing one, or too anyone else who wants to hear what the 80's voices sound like.

I'm not sure about MP3's. The mods might be able to give you hosting rights but I think it would be easier to link it to an external site. For example you could upload it to youtube or something. There are other sites that will host files but a site like youtube would ensure the file stayed there.

Excited to hear the mp3 if you can get it uploaded somehow :lol:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

We only moderate the forums, we have no administrator access on the site. But when you are ready, tell us, we'll definitely solve this hosting problem one way or another. :)

Bob Gonzalez
Kokoro Robot

"TasZero" wrote:
I'm not sure about MP3's. The mods might be able to give you hosting rights but I think it would be easier to link it to an external site. For example you could upload it to youtube or something. There are other sites that will host files but a site like youtube would ensure the file stayed there.

Excited to hear the mp3 if you can get it uploaded somehow :lol:

That sounds like good advice, TasZero. I need to start uploading some work to YouTube anyway, so this would be a good way to start. Or I could post the mp3 on a blog. I also plan to erect a website to hold my various works sometime over the summer, so I could post it there and link to it.

Bob Gonzalez
Kokoro Robot

"Astro Forever" wrote:We only moderate the forums, we have no administrator access on the site. But when you are ready, tell us, we'll definitely solve this hosting problem one way or another. :)

I certainly will, Astro Forever. Thanks for your willingness to help.

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Sounds like a good way to do it. Good luck getting everything organized :) I'm sure the community here will support you whichever way you go.

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 14 years ago

hi with fans like all of you- hopefully a new ASTRO BOY series and movie are in the near future- thanks

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 14 years ago

"Bob Gonzalez" wrote:I also plan to erect a website to hold my various works sometime over the summer, so I could post it there and link to it.

I have a server on which I have total control ( no "negociation" with some jerk sysadmin, I AM the sysadmin :D ) . You could upload files there in the meantime.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”