Astro Boy 2003 had a movie?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

That's exactly my problem with Cage as Tenma; he has barely any emotion. Yes, Tenma is cool and collected for teh most part, but he pretty much turns into an emotional wreck if things don't go his way. You need an actor who can do that, and sadly Cage just doesn't deliver in that department.

Agreed, I think Konaka did a fine job in creating his own take on the Astro Boy mythos; the 03 series really can be considered the Ultimate Marvel of Astro Boy as far as I'm concerned.
On a side note, you know who I think would have been a good pick for Tawashi if he was in teh movie; Gary Oldman.

Lalapalooza
Kokoro Robot

Postby Lalapalooza » 12 years ago

LoL! I can totally see that. Though it would be a little awkward at first he would totally be a good Teswashi!
:astro: Believe in your Dreams; Be free :astro:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

I guess you guys never saw Nick Cage in "Moonstruck" - he was VERY Tenma in that movie - totally out of control passion.

They had him play Tenma in the movie very "controlled" -- only the "PERFECT!! It'll be PERFECT!!" hints at his inner rage. I have a feeling it was the script more than the actor. Although the deep, Darth Vaderly voice in the English dub of the 03 series gave me goosebumps.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Lalapalooza
Kokoro Robot

Postby Lalapalooza » 12 years ago

you should listen to it in the Japanese version (assuming you haven't). I truly love his voice in either of them. Cage was a good match, but again i still feel he held little emotion. Though you maybe right that it's not entirely his fault. Still, someone could have done better with the whole of it all is what I feel.
:astro: Believe in your Dreams; Be free :astro:

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

"AprilSeven" wrote:I guess you guys never saw Nick Cage in "Moonstruck" - he was VERY Tenma in that movie - totally out of control passion.

They had him play Tenma in the movie very "controlled" -- only the "PERFECT!! It'll be PERFECT!!" hints at his inner rage. I have a feeling it was the script more than the actor. Although the deep, Darth Vaderly voice in the English dub of the 03 series gave me goosebumps.

(laughs) It's probably a good thing Tenma never said anything along teh lines of; "I find your lack of faith disturbing" during the 03 series.

Admittedly I haven't seen Cage in much, so I'll take your word on that April, but yeah; you can't play Tenma completely controled. He's sophisticated, but his emotions tend to get the better of him regardless of the situation.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

I don't wanna intrude, but as I'm sorta watching this topic it's a bit disappointing to see every reply being off-topic.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Oh, sorry about that F-Man. If it helps, I do have a question related to these films, and that is tha canonisity of them.

Essentially, what I'm trying to ask is just how canon are these films to the 03 series?

I would assume fairly canon seeings as how they use the same seiyu cast and a similar character design done on a movie budget. Heck, one even has Astro's friends from teh 03 series in it. BUt then you get to stuff like Tobio's death, which contradicts how he dies in the series (though I still like it none the less).

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:Oh, sorry about that F-Man. If it helps, I do have a question related to these films, and that is tha canonisity of them.

Essentially, what I'm trying to ask is just how canon are these films to the 03 series?

I would assume fairly canon seeings as how they use the same seiyu cast and a similar character design done on a movie budget. Heck, one even has Astro's friends from teh 03 series in it. BUt then you get to stuff like Tobio's death, which contradicts how he dies in the series (though I still like it none the less).

The similarities with the 2003 series end with using the same designs, other than that it's not the same universe. They're all based on chapters from the manga though, but still very different.

The IMAX movie (IGZA) may be canon to the 2003 series though, as there's no way to see it I can't be sure.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Really? I would guess the IMAX movie would be, sicne Astro's friends are in that one. Yes, I know that Kenichi/Kennedy is part of Tezuka's Star System, but Tamao/Alejo and Abecrombie were created specifically for the 03 series, so it probably is.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me. Though it's kind of a sad answer for me, I ratehr like the Secret of Atom's Birth short, and kind of wish that were in cannon with the 03 series (Tobio's difference in death not withstanding).

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Tamao and Shibugaki are part of the original manga as well and were in all the anime series. Kenichi was ignored for the black and white one. =(

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”