Astro's hair

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Astro's hair

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

Has it ever been said what exactly his hair is? I mean in the 03 series that girl in Fairy Tale (Mina or Nina, wasn't able to catch the first letter) does seem to identify it as a hair-like substance ("funny hair"). But it always drawn like a single solid mass of, i dunno, metal.

But there have been the occasional references to it being hair-like so maybe it's something like steel wool only softer, or some kind of easy to style synthetic hair? I dunno. I know it's supposed to resemble the tufts of hair Tobio had, but one also has to ask why did Tenma create the hairdoo in such an exaggerated shape compared to what his son actually had?

Even the movie vaguely touches on the subject where they simply say it's gelled, but that's the movie so I'm not really sure how true that is to the basic japanese material.

Any thoughts or opinions? Hope I'm not the only one to notice this and care, that'd be embarassing. lol

MangaBottle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MangaBottle » 14 years ago

In the movie, at least, I'd say it's probably made from the same substance as perhaps a super-bouncy ball. You know, either rubber or soft plastic

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

"MangaBottle" wrote:In the movie, at least, I'd say it's probably made from the same substance as perhaps a super-bouncy ball. You know, either rubber or soft plastic

and gel!
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

"Nora" wrote:[QUOTE=MangaBottle;92705]In the movie, at least, I'd say it's probably made from the same substance as perhaps a super-bouncy ball. You know, either rubber or soft plastic

and gel![/QUOTE]

Yeah he made a note to say it was gelled. I already mentioned the movie touching on the subject, but I doubt it's really relevant to the source materials.

Thanks for the replies though, keep em comin' peeps, I wanna see what else all you awesome people can come up with to explain his weird hair. :)

drakeshe
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby drakeshe » 14 years ago

In the 80's version, his hair is just that elasticy material jumpsuit that was put on him over his electronics. In the 03 & 09 version they don't tell you. I haven't seen 60's.

Perhaps these may help?
New Astroboy Forum Design - Preview

Add me on MSN: drakeshe[at]hotmail.com

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Meeshell » 14 years ago

hmm i thought it was just metal, like what his body is made of.
its like his head, just painted black

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 14 years ago

In fact it's inconsistent. From the 80s, there are episodes where his hair clearly are soft (as in the first one), and some others where his hair clearly are hard (as in Peligro Island after badly smashing his head, there is another example in the Robots Vikings).
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

"Nora" wrote:[QUOTE=MangaBottle;92705]In the movie, at least, I'd say it's probably made from the same substance as perhaps a super-bouncy ball. You know, either rubber or soft plastic

and gel![/QUOTE]

Or at least that's what Astro thought. (didn't even know he was a robot at the time)

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

Astro: I'll tell you the secret..(looks around)....it's Nerf.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Dare I ask what Nerf is? Or do you mean that foamy material used to make toy balls and toy guns with?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”