Finished the 2003 series

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Finished the 2003 series

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

I bought it all on DVD a couple weeks ago and have been slowly working my way through it. I finally finished it and I'm gonna give my little thoughts on it. Why? I dunno, cause I need to tell someone.

SPOILERS (in case you want to see the 2003 series and haven't)

Totally did not expect Shadow to turn out to be benevolent and actually turn against Tenma's evil plans. As for Tenma I was taken aback towards his losses and loved his repentance. You really begin to see how he's beginning to be tortured towards the end.

However I'd like to see a continuation where Tenma takes up his 'secret guardian' role from the manga.

drakeshe
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby drakeshe » 14 years ago

I got the Astroboy 2003 episodes 1-50 on Friday and watched within 2 days... At first I didnt like astro 03 too much but by the end I loved him just as much.
New Astroboy Forum Design - Preview

Add me on MSN: drakeshe[at]hotmail.com

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

I was eking them out, didn't want them to end too quickly, lol. Personally I prefer it because the dubbing is far more polished than the older animes and Candi Milo gives Astro a voice that doesn't pierce my eardrums (1980's series, twas good but man did it hurt to listen to too much).

I noticed Mr. Drake's story wasn't really resolved. When they first introduced him we were told that he's a jerk because he's covering up feelings of loss for his robot friend from the island he was stranded on. Plus he was having hallucinations of that robot and at the end of the episode there's a case of dramatic irony where the robot sees Drake's limo leaving an area.

I want to see more of Drake, which may have been the plan for a sequel series, I dunno. Either way I think it's high time for another Astro anime, either a continuation of 2003 (would be cool) or something fresh.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 14 years ago

"MegaAstroFan75" wrote:Totally did not expect Shadow to turn out to be benevolent and actually turn against Tenma's evil plans.

This series is far behind me, I didn't watch it for a while, but I don't remember Shadow being benevolent at any moment. I do remember him turning against Tenma, but to take his place and certainly not to counter him.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Soul Rokkuman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Soul Rokkuman » 14 years ago

"MegaAstroFan75" wrote: As for Tenma I was taken aback towards his losses and loved his repentance. You really begin to see how he's beginning to be tortured towards the end.

However I'd like to see a continuation where Tenma takes up his 'secret guardian' role from the manga.

I liked this version so much. In the older series Tenma and Astro just take diferents path and they didn't ever see each other again, and that made me a little sad. But in 2003 at least hey see all arraund and, the part I liked a lot, is when Astro forgives Tenma.. and he start to cry. :heart: :tenma:

I want to buy the manga, as you said, in the manga Tenma helps Astro, but he doesn't show his face because he is ashamed.

drakeshe
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby drakeshe » 14 years ago

I loved the ending of the 2003 version, a very nice finale to the series. Most shows don't get a finale like that.Also everything turned out for the better.
New Astroboy Forum Design - Preview

Add me on MSN: drakeshe[at]hotmail.com

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

"fafner" wrote:[QUOTE=MegaAstroFan75;92913]Totally did not expect Shadow to turn out to be benevolent and actually turn against Tenma's evil plans.

This series is far behind me, I didn't watch it for a while, but I don't remember Shadow being benevolent at any moment. I do remember him turning against Tenma, but to take his place and certainly not to counter him.[/QUOTE]

Not countering him, but having already planned to leave Earth and choosing retreat over continued destruction. He ceased with evil actions entirely and chose to protect his people and in the process protected Earth. Plus he said his bit about hatred being bad, whereas Tenma said hatred was good.

The one bad thing with the ending is that it was over :P . I want more :(

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”