The epic quest for fansubs

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

Yeah, I wouldn't mind looking into those myself. You see, I intend to do a review of the 03 series at some point, and wouldn't mind using some of the Japanese episode in the review to get some more insight into the character arcs and motivations in the story.

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 12 years ago

"fafner" wrote:I am interested. Do you have them hosted somewhere ?

Not yet, but I'm willing to load them on your FTP server (or on anyone else's, for that matter).

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't mind looking into those myself. You see, I intend to do a review of the 03 series at some point, and wouldn't mind using some of the Japanese episode in the review to get some more insight into the character arcs and motivations in the story.

Cool, so the transcriptions may end up being useful to other people as well! :-)
The subs are in a zip-file ready to be sent via email or to be uploaded to an external host.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

I am interested too! I'm planning on purchasing the 2003 box set and this is one way I can see what the original dialogue is like!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

"Strange Wings" wrote:[QUOTE=fafner;195594]I am interested. Do you have them hosted somewhere ?

Not yet, but I'm willing to load them on your FTP server (or on anyone else's, for that matter).

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't mind looking into those myself. You see, I intend to do a review of the 03 series at some point, and wouldn't mind using some of the Japanese episode in the review to get some more insight into the character arcs and motivations in the story.

Cool, so the transcriptions may end up being useful to other people as well! :-)
The subs are in a zip-file ready to be sent via email or to be uploaded to an external host.[/QUOTE]

Sure, that'd be great!

I should mention it's also going to be a timeline video review, so I intend to use the Japanese versions of the Atlas two parter, as well as the two-part finale for...obvious reasons. Regardless, having transcripts for episodes I may find but may not be subtitled would help alot!

Takiko
Kokoro Robot

Postby Takiko » 12 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:I am interested too! I'm planning on purchasing the 2003 box set and this is one way I can see what the original dialogue is like!

I will jump on the "I'm interested" train too! :D

Satus
Robot President

Postby Satus » 12 years ago

"Strange Wings" wrote:Hello all. :)
I don't know whether this has been offered before, but in the course of last year I transcribed the Japanese subtitles of the whole 2003 Astro Boy series for studying purposes (please note: transcribed, not translated). Having read a little across this topic, I started to think the subtitle files actually may be useful to some people.
The files are in rtf-format, the dialogue is clearly set up so it's comprehendible who's speaking (i.e. Dr. Ochanomizu:; Atom:; etc.), and the more complex Kanji-combinations are emphasized in bigger size and have Furigana reading aid.

Anyone here who'd like to have them?

Oh wow, I've been wanting to do something like this as well (take the original Japanese subs and translate them myself, I mean). But you've half-way beat me to it. :lol: Maybe someday, now isn't that time for me.

Glad for those who can make use of those subs.

Bad Username
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bad Username » 12 years ago

Another month-late [Edit: three months late, sue me] bump from me!

Takiko: I can't start a Kickstarter for this. I'd probably get enough money, but it's not fair use as far as I know, even if I don't release the encodes.

Strange Wings, posting the transcriptions would save me many hours of work. Right now, I'm dumping the subtitle images, running them through OCR, and copy-pasting them with furigana in parentheses.

One of the big reasons why I haven't released Ep. 2 yet is because I want to get the last box set and scan all the extra print materials first.
Last edited by Bad Username on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr7K
Kokoro Robot

Postby Mr7K » 11 years ago

Is this epic quest still going? I'm starting to lose hope over here.

One of the main reasons for me taking time out to learn Japanese is so I can buy the last 4 DVD volumes from Japan and understand them...but obviously, my Japanese isn't going to get good that fast haha; so I'm just hanging around looking for any solution to this problem.

I had to choose the most inconvenient show in the world for a westerner to have as his favourite show, didn't I?

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 11 years ago

Mr7K wrote:I had to choose the most inconvenient show in the world for a westerner to have as his favourite show, didn't I?
Trust me, you are not alone in this feeling when I say this.

Having to give up an arm and a leg for this franchise while having to be fluent in Japanese sucks.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

Considering how that site is launching really soon, I say just be ready to make your requests on there.
I'm on Twitter.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”