The epic quest for fansubs

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

"sgupta" wrote:Dragonrider1227, very true. It's a shame they never finished the Korean set, as its an awesome set. I wonder if it came down to sales for the first half or what the reasoning was. At any rate, half's definitely a start. ^.^

Bad Username, go for it! I hope these subs help you/the subbers! I've looked through various episodes (though not watched to completion) and most of the subs look very well-translated indeed.

Yeah, but I'm just glad to finally have more than six. Well, seven if you count Eternal boy

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

I have never tried burning a dual layer, so I don't know if the burner can. :unsure:
The program I am using is Nero (it came free with the external Sony DVD burner when I bought it years ago). I believe it is the 6th edition of Nero.
It's so weird to see it do that split screen with part of the picture that should be on the right playing on the left instead, it's never happen to me before. I have downloaded mostly AVIs in the years I have been downloading fansubs of anime not available in the US yet and have never had any problems. :confused:
I will try the avirecomp, thanks! :)
:astro:
Last edited by animegirlalways on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

For the avirecomp I hope just putting in the Source and Output is all I needed to do, because I have no idea what most of these other options/setting are. :lol:
It is currently running for episode 2 so I'll see what happens. :)
Thank you again for your help! :heart: :cool:

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

Yeah, AVIRecomp can be a bit confusing, but source and output should be all you need and it should do alright with those settings. I have a TiVo you can stream AVI's and such to from the PC, and I know AVIRecomp has helped in situations where the TiVo was having trouble with a particular file, so I'm hoping the same goes for DVD's.

I just used ConvertXtoDVD to burn the first 4 AVI's (as available; not recomped) to a DVD and it seems to be fine, so I'm not sure what the issue is (though I haven't had a lot of luck with Nero in recent years). If nothing else, the trial version of that would probably do the trick, though I don't know how intrusive the watermark is.

Regarding the ISO's, if your DVD player is only a year old, I would imagine it is dual layer, though I can't guarantee it. You'd need dual layer discs though (usually marked DVD-R DL). If you can give me the model number, I can likely look it up for you.

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Yeah it worked!!! :w00t:
This will end up being one of the longest anime DVD burn projects I have ever done. :lol:
On top of downloading the files it looks like I will have to avirecomp each one, which appears to take some time. :d oh:
Astro Boy is so worth it though! :wub:

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

animegirlalways, very glad to hear it worked!

Sorry you have to recompile them though. I dunno what's up with that - the burn straight from the AVI works for me, but with a different program, so it must depend on what you're using to burn. Apparently something in Nero doesn't like that format. At least we found a workaround tho. =)

ISO's would be a faster (and higher quality) burn if you find out you have that capability as there's no video encoding to worry about.

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Sigh, it turns out it was only episode 2 that the avirecomp fixed the split screen for some reason. :cry:
I guess I will have to look into getting another burning program, like ConvertXtoDVD without the watermark (I probably needed a newer program anyway, the one I currently have is a few years old) or just only watch them on my computer.
The model # on the Sony external DVD burner is DRX-820U. Thank you.
Last edited by animegirlalways on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

animegirlalways, I'm sorry to hear that avirecomp only fixed episode 2. That is so strange, especially since ALL episodes are encoded the exact same way. I can't understand why one would burn correctly "from the start", one would be fixable with AVIRecomp, and the rest won't burn properly. Just out of curiosity, is it always the first episode burned that works right? Maybe for some reason it's messing up any more than 1 to a disc? So weird.

The good news is the DRX-820U is indeed a dual-layer burner so with the ISO's (still uploading but soon), a free program like ImgBurn, and compatible media (such as http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-2-4x-Double-Layer-DVD-DL/dp/B000B018VO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260849417&sr=1-5 which should work fine - Verbatim makes some of the best DL media in my experience), you should be able to burn perfect DVD copies!

I'm just sorry we can't get those AVI's to burn for you with what you currently have *scratches head*.

Bad Username
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bad Username » 14 years ago

I made a V1 hardsub for Episode 01. It's not as good as I would like due to unforseen problems popping up during encoding, but I feel the subtitles are much better with a smaller font, a better position, and writing by a native English speaker. :lol:

I'm uploading it to DepositFiles and MegaUpload now. And don't worry, I'll release a better version in a day or two.

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

It really is weird, I know. :d oh:
Episode 1 always worked fine no matter what and I tried buring a disc with just episode 2 to see if the split would still happen and it did. I even tried just the avirecomp of episode 3 too when I discovered it had only seemed to fix episode 2. :confused:
I am sure the Nero program is the problem, since the videos play fine on Windows Media Player. I haven't tried burning any of my fansubed anime downloads in some time, so it may be something happened to the program and I didn't know it until now because of the fact I haven't burned anything for awhile (I have many downloaded fansubs I need to burn and watch :p ). The last project I burned involved converting MKV to NTSC-mpeg2 (my version of Nero doesn't recognize MKV - don't know if a newer version or another burning program would) and when I tried converting these videos to that format it fixed the split picture but it made them fullscreen instead of widescreen.
I'm glad to hear my burner is capable of burning dual layer. :)
Thank you very much for looking into that for me! :heart:
Is DVD-9 the same as dual layer? There were times when Nero asked if I wanted to switch to DVD-9 or lower the quality of the video to fit all the videos onto the disc. Normally I would just cancel adding the last video so it wouldn't switch to DVD-9 or lower the quality.
Is ImgBurn only for dual layer or will it work on the DVD-R discs I have been doing too?
I will buy some DVD-R DL discs tomorrow and will also ask them about what they recommend for a DVD burning program (in case I end up deciding to buy a new one) and/or if they know what's going on suddenly with Nero.
Last edited by animegirlalways on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:20 am, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”