The epic quest for fansubs

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Takiko
Kokoro Robot

Postby Takiko » 12 years ago

"Bad Username" wrote:Thanks. The new computer can encode a full episode in less than 6 hours, when before I had to wait 3 days and hope it wouldn't crash (it always did).

Wow, I was wondering how long it took you for each episode since you were going for SHQ. Talk about dedication. :w00t:

I'm SO GLAD that Bad Username came back! :D :heart:

*balloons and confetti rains down with streamers and everything else a celebration should have, and :hyo: too*

It's incredibly nice that he'll be coming back with SHQ fansubs with video too. :D Of course it's still early, and maybe I shouldn't be cheering too much, but...maybe he'll enjoy this as inspiration when he gets stuck on his project. :)

I was worried that the car accident that happened so long ago had been a series of bad things in life that took him down and unable to come here and talk with us. :o hmy:

I wonder what had him suddenly notify us though? I was going to be the user that would have replied to this thread after a year of nothing but some person who ended up being really blunt in text beat me to it. I wonder if he got an e-mail alert for that. In which case, what a welcome! :rolleyes: :eek: :lol:

Anyhow, I really enjoyed the 1st episode that Bad Username put out. I didn't watch it previously, but I enjoyed it on a 20" TV monitor (that my dad happens to use for his computer) and a part of it might have been because it's the 1st episode, it's Astroboy, and also the quality of the episode. :wub:

Gambatte, Bad Username! :heart: :astro: :tezuka:
Last edited by Takiko on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 12 years ago

"Takiko" wrote:I'm SO GLAD that Bad Username came back! :D :heart:

It's incredibly nice that he'll be coming back with SHQ fansubs with video too. :D Of course it's still early, and maybe I shouldn't be cheering too much, but...maybe he'll enjoy this as inspiration when he gets stuck on his project. :)

I was worried that the car accident that happened so long ago had been a series of bad things in life that took him down and unable to come here and talk with us. :o hmy:

I am certain he will be encouraged by your enthusiasm! :)
Sad to hear of his misfortunes... so it's certainly good to see that he stopped by.

"Takiko" wrote:I wonder what had him suddenly notify us though?

A new member joined, and inquired if this thread was still active without checking the date of the prior post.
Last edited by Novacain on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bad Username
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bad Username » 12 years ago

Actually, I could access the forum the whole time, but I felt it would be embarrassing to keep posting when I couldn't actually get anything done. Even now, I'm trying to save up the crazy money needed for the last box set without blowing it all on bills.

Takiko
Kokoro Robot

"Novacain" wrote:[QUOTE=Takiko;193584]
I wonder what had him suddenly notify us though?

A new member joined, and inquired if this thread was still active without checking the date of the prior post.[/QUOTE]
I wonder if I was a little vague in that I had hoped to have been the member that called attention to Bad Username or the thread. *checks it* Nah, I think that's pretty clear. I guess Novacain is choosing the "moderator" answer.

"Bad Username" wrote:Actually, I could access the forum the whole time, but I felt it would be embarrassing to keep posting when I couldn't actually get anything done. Even now, I'm trying to save up the crazy money needed for the last box set without blowing it all on bills.

I was hope and wondering if it was that, especially since the forum is public. :) (It has it's give and takes.) Hopefully you'll hold off the expense of the cost of living. :whistling: :ninja: :p irate:

Bad Username's copy is going to be probably THE copy to go to, but I'm wanting to know when he will be releasing the next episode? (I'm sorry if this is pressuring you. :d oh :) Otherwise maybe I'll have to check for what's available to me with potentially with lots of searching through the internet for a subtitled version, and I guess with a re-watch I'll enjoy SHQ. :D :heart: :wub:

Anyhow, I hope my post serves as positive encouragement and doesn't help to hold you down if there's some road stops, Bad Username. :)
Last edited by Takiko on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baron
Kokoro Robot

Postby Baron » 12 years ago

Hello Together,
first i want to say how glad i am that the Project is still alive :) Thank You all :wub: .

Im a lucky owner of the Korean DVD Boxes (i did buy them just when they came out then) but until today i haven't seen the rest of the Serie. just lately i watched Disc 1-6 again and i want so much to see the End...!!! Im also thinking to buying the US-Box on Amazon for 20$ but what they did to this Masterpiece brakes my heart and i dont want to support such a Version!!!
How could they (Sony!!!) cripple this cult-serie like this:
From 5.1 Surround Sound to Stereo, cut some Scenes, release it without japanese Language-/Sound Track and then cut it to 4:3?!? It really makes my heart bleed :( .

So im seriously thinking of buying the japanese DVDs (my DVD player runs it natively) and watch it without understanding the Dialogues... it would be still much better then to torture myself with the US Version but costs me a lot of Money...

I would of course support this Project here as much as i can (but i dont know how, and i dont understand anything of "Video Encoding" or things like this). But if you know how i could help, Just contact me!

Blu-ray Version?!?
But honestly im thinking that if we all together could somehow contact the japanese Company which released the DVDs and ask them that when they will release a BD-Version, then with english subtitles maybe they realize that they would reach much more Customers over the whole World which are also unhappy with the Versions they released outside of Japan.
The japanese Ghibli Blu-rays are all coming out with minimum 5 different subtitels, Language Tracks and also Code-free so i can and do buy them all!!!! The Market today is Global and a clever Company knows that and with Internet-Shopping u can so easily sell your stuff over the whole World!!!
Last edited by Baron on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

Wow, finally someone who sees everything like I do, including the need for Blu-ray releases and Tezuka Productions to push distributors to include English subtitles on them. I had contacted someone close to them a while ago about this and she did relay my message to them, but a year later the new Buddha movie came out on Blu-ray and still no English subtitles.

Admittedly, a series like this that is owned by the same studio worldwide has better chances of it happening since that means they're not stealing sales from any other potential company by adding subtitles. I believe Studio Ghibli titles are released by Disney in Japan as well as here, and that's why they have the subtitles in Japan as well. Americans importing from Japan only makes them more money since they buy a more expensive version.

I'm hoping for a Blu-ray version to come out next year for the 10th anniversary but I'm not holding my breath for subtitles. At least you can load the bad ones that were made by bootleggers over the DVDs or eventual Blu-rays using a computer and media player that supports subtitle loading.
I'm on Twitter.

Takiko
Kokoro Robot

I don't know if this is slightly crazy, but since Kickstart has been used to help bring other Osamu Tezuka works lately, Bad Username could setup the Kickstart project. They require the money donated into the project is held with the site from what I know. Of course, that would be up to Bad Username if he wanted to go this route. I'm believing he would have already thought of this, but assuming he's watching at least this thread, he can do what he wants with the info now.

Who knows though? The Kickstart project would be like slapping Sony in the face, which they deserve anyhow, for the most part. Subtitles don't cost very much, as far as I know. I don't know if Sony would have their lawyers storm out with their briefcases. Anyhow, repeating myself again, but Bad Username can check with Kickstart and see what he wants to do.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

I'd just like to point out that money is unnecessary considering Bad Username mentioned the translator would do it for free. As for the R2 DVDs, plenty of people have them.

This post was directed at anyone in the hopes that it could be useful. I can't wait for those subs. I too had a translator who'd do it for free, but he bailed out on me.
I'm on Twitter.

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 12 years ago

Hello all. :)
I don't know whether this has been offered before, but in the course of last year I transcribed the Japanese subtitles of the whole 2003 Astro Boy series for studying purposes (please note: transcribed, not translated). Having read a little across this topic, I started to think the subtitle files actually may be useful to some people.
The files are in rtf-format, the dialogue is clearly set up so it's comprehendible who's speaking (i.e. Dr. Ochanomizu:; Atom:; etc.), and the more complex Kanji-combinations are emphasized in bigger size and have Furigana reading aid.

Anyone here who'd like to have them?

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 12 years ago

I am interested. Do you have them hosted somewhere ?
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”