Newbie who LOVED the movie!!!!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Newbie who LOVED the movie!!!!

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

Hi, everyone! I'm new here, and I'm so glad I found a place to discuss Tezuka's masterpiece, Astro Boy! As Spider would say "Here to meet ya!" :w00t:

Just wanted to say how much I loved the Astro Boy movie by Imagi. I was a bit doubtful when I went to see it...but oh, my, was I ever floored by what I saw. I didn't expect the movie to be so beautifully animated (as showbiz trade magazine Variety stated, "its stunning visuals were as close to Pixar's as you could get"), to have such great voice acting (especially Freddie Highmore as Astro!), and to have such...heart. I laughed, but I also cried, and it's been a long time any film, much less an animated film, made me do that. I've seen it multiple times (if it were still at my local cinema, I'd probably be watching it right now), and I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. So much was done right on this movie, and it's a great shame more people didn't give it a chance. I think Summit really let the movie down with tepid advertising (did the trailers for it really make much sense?) and the awful release date...right before Halloween, and in competition with the much-higher-profile "Where The Wild Things Are". This movie deserved better. As I've read on the 'net, Summit has a rep for not being able to promote their movies well. Only Twilight has done really well for them, and heck, how much publicity does THAT pop-culture phenom really need? :rolleyes:

Anyway, if a sequel is made, I hope and pray that Imagi retains at least Freddie Highmore as Astro. He gave such a great performance and really brought Astro to life in a way that no production prior to the film's release ever managed to do. I'm not a huge fan of Freddie's (I barely knew who he was when I saw the film), but he was excellent, and to me, he IS Astro. And while some have knocked Nic Cage's performance as Tenma (mostly because of some kind of weird Cage hate - ???) I think he was magnificent. He really captured Tenma's inner turmoil and grief. And I really liked Cora! She was just the right balance of tough/tender...and she was a refreshing departure from the usual strong-female-lead type, which is all too often inserted into in a work of fiction for political correctness' sake. But she played an important role in establishing Astro's struggle for acceptance. Plus she and Astro make a cute couple. And I suppose Hamegg woudn't appear in a sequel...except as a bid for revenge?...but it'd be a shame to miss out on more of Nathan Lane's lovably slimeball performance. Really, the only character I DON'T want back is President Stone...he was the weakest of the characters, at least when he became too much of a political caricature. The political overtones of the film, in fact, were its only liability - they really really didn't need to be there IMO. But overall this film is a crown jewel. Everyone I know who's seen it - including those who went on my recommendation - have unreservedly loved it. Their kids too, and I got more than one report that the kids were riveted to the screen throughout the movie, a rare thing. My best friends kids, twins, both say they want to BE Astro Boy! Well, heaven knows, there are worse role models out there...

Anyway, thanks for letting me rave. I just love this movie. My favorite film this year, hands down. :)

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

Welcome among us, Laughing Dragon! :D I'm glad you liked the movie. Overall most us did like it or at least some/most aspects of it. You may like to read our other movie threads if you haven't already.

I haven't seen the English version and thus can't comment on the dubbing. My favorite part was Astro flying in the beginning... Awww! :D :astro:

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:Welcome among us, Laughing Dragon! :D I'm glad you liked the movie. Overall most us did like it or at least some/most aspects of it. You may like to read our other movie threads if you haven't already.

I haven't seen the English version and thus can't comment on the dubbing. My favorite part was Astro flying in the beginning... Awww! :D :astro:

yup we loved it :D
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

"Astro Forever" wrote:Welcome among us, Laughing Dragon! :D I'm glad you liked the movie. Overall most us did like it or at least some/most aspects of it. You may like to read our other movie threads if you haven't already.

Thanks! And yeah...the flying part was awesome!!!! So exhilarating - you feel like you're flying too! I've got the movie soundtrack and the music for that sequence is thrilling. But then the movie music overall is thrilling. John Ottman did an incredible job with it. My only quibble...I do wish the original theme from the American version of the 1960's Astro Boy show could have been in there somewhere. It's a cool song. So memorable...when I saw the old episodes for the first time on Adult Swim, it's that song that struck me the most.

BTW, the soundtrack CD is awesome. It comes with a little booklet with neat pictures from the movie (including Astro and Cora hugging..awww!!!), and a cool jacket cover (which has the diagram of the Astro Boy robot on it). Plus there are comments by Ottoman and the movie's director, David Bowers. BTW, David is on Twitter! I'm trying to get up the courage to tweet him and tell him how much I loved his movie! *gulp* maybe someday...

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 14 years ago

I love the part when he finally stops falling and he smacks himself to see if he is dreaming. lol. It was parts like that which made it good. The goofy humor. But it did go into the sad a lot in the film.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

"Big Astro Fan" wrote:I love the part when he finally stops falling and he smacks himself to see if he is dreaming. lol. It was parts like that which made it good. The goofy humor. But it did go into the sad a lot in the film.

Yeah, and when he's still trying to learn to fly, he slams backwards into a building! LOL! EXcellent!!!

And the sadness was one of the most essential parts of the film's charm, I think...after all, it was there in the manga, and I think the producers had guts to include it, plus they handled it so well. The sadness helped us identify and care about Astro. It was a little like when Mufasa died in The Lion King...I hated it when that happened, but it kinda had to happen, and Simba became a stronger character because of it.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

Whoa, I guess I'll have to pay attention to the soundtrack the next time I get to see the movie, because I don't remember anything about it.

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

"Big Astro Fan" wrote:I love the part when he finally stops falling and he smacks himself to see if he is dreaming. lol. It was parts like that which made it good. The goofy humor. But it did go into the sad a lot in the film.

I loved it when he scared the oil out of those window cleaning tools. Poor things.

"Laughing Dragon" wrote:[QUOTE=Big Astro Fan;94834]I love the part when he finally stops falling and he smacks himself to see if he is dreaming. lol. It was parts like that which made it good. The goofy humor. But it did go into the sad a lot in the film.

Yeah, and when he's still trying to learn to fly, he slams backwards into a building! LOL! EXcellent!!!

And the sadness was one of the most essential parts of the film's charm, I think...after all, it was there in the manga, and I think the producers had guts to include it, plus they handled it so well. The sadness helped us identify and care about Astro. It was a little like when Mufasa died in The Lion King...I hated it when that happened, but it kinda had to happen, and Simba became a stronger character because of it.[/QUOTE]

That seriously reminded me more of Kimba. Our favorite dude had a thing about people dieing so there kids can learn or survive from it. Even Black Jack had to face some sort of owies to learn a lesson from. :D
Last edited by Nora on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

I'm glad you liked it. The movie was indeed awesome and I'd love to see more. Welcome to the board!

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:I haven't seen the English version and thus can't comment on the dubbing. My favorite part was Astro flying in the beginning... Awww! :D :astro:

Which version did you see? Japanese? How did you see another version? :) :cool:
I think it would be cool to see what the movie is like in Japanese. :D
I loved the movie too! :heart:
:astro:
Last edited by animegirlalways on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”