So which version do YOU like?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 14 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=ASTROBUDDY;96142] :astro: Hello, Everybody out there in "Astro Boy" land! I thought long and hard about this question and am now ready to enter my piece on this most important of discussions! My favorite version is the original American dub of the 1960s anime! While I have seen the original 1960s "TetsuWan Atomu" (in Japanese w/ sub-titles), it is its American counterpart, the one that gave him the name "Astro Boy" which made "Astro Boy" accessible to me and to the world; especially as other non-English speaking countries also translated the adventures of every one's favorite robot hero! While I like all the different versions of the "Astro Boy" mythology! Each has contributed worthwhile things to the mythos, I believe all versions have benefitted from this version! :astro: :)

I know of only about 5 episodes that have been subtitled. Where did you see the original series with subtitles?[/QUOTE]

I meant the same ones you've seen! Sorry didnot mean to cause you to salivate, although I know how you feel! It would be nice to see the original Japanese episodes uncut and with subtitles, although I still prefer my cartoons dubbed so I can enjoy the artwork and not spend time reading! As for the Cobalt and Ti-tan debate I guess they served their purpose as comic relief characters, but its obvious even Dr. Tezuka did not care for them having had Cobalt killed off in the original manga and Ti-tan's origin never having been reprinted! :astro: :)

Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bakabits » 14 years ago

1980s version is my fav! astro is so funny with his puns, actions, and when he keeps saying "STOP THAT!". lol
Now active on MyAnimeList

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

"ASTROBUDDY" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;96145][QUOTE=ASTROBUDDY;96142] :astro: Hello, Everybody out there in "Astro Boy" land! I thought long and hard about this question and am now ready to enter my piece on this most important of discussions! My favorite version is the original American dub of the 1960s anime! While I have seen the original 1960s "TetsuWan Atomu" (in Japanese w/ sub-titles), it is its American counterpart, the one that gave him the name "Astro Boy" which made "Astro Boy" accessible to me and to the world; especially as other non-English speaking countries also translated the adventures of every one's favorite robot hero! While I like all the different versions of the "Astro Boy" mythology! Each has contributed worthwhile things to the mythos, I believe all versions have benefitted from this version! :astro: :)

I know of only about 5 episodes that have been subtitled. Where did you see the original series with subtitles?[/QUOTE]

I meant the same ones you've seen! Sorry didnot mean to cause you to salivate, although I know how you feel! It would be nice to see the original Japanese episodes uncut and with subtitles, although I still prefer my cartoons dubbed so I can enjoy the artwork and not spend time reading! As for the Cobalt and Ti-tan debate I guess they served their purpose as comic relief characters, but its obvious even Dr. Tezuka did not care for them having had Cobalt killed off in the original manga and Ti-tan's origin never having been reprinted! :astro: :) [/QUOTE]
I do not think that Tezuka necessarily disliked the characters, Chitan or Titan, had many funny scenes in the few episodes in which he appeared, & they were few only because he was not introduced into the series until the 160-something episode. As one of Tezuka's recurring themes was self-sacrifice, Cobalt's demise was likely for some other reason. I would very much like to see the original version of Midoro Swamp so I could know for certain.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 14 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=ASTROBUDDY;96183][QUOTE=jeffbert;96145][QUOTE=ASTROBUDDY;96142] :astro: Hello, Everybody out there in "Astro Boy" land! I thought long and hard about this question and am now ready to enter my piece on this most important of discussions! My favorite version is the original American dub of the 1960s anime! While I have seen the original 1960s "TetsuWan Atomu" (in Japanese w/ sub-titles), it is its American counterpart, the one that gave him the name "Astro Boy" which made "Astro Boy" accessible to me and to the world; especially as other non-English speaking countries also translated the adventures of every one's favorite robot hero! While I like all the different versions of the "Astro Boy" mythology! Each has contributed worthwhile things to the mythos, I believe all versions have benefitted from this version! :astro: :)

I meant the same ones you've seen! Sorry didnot mean to cause you to salivate, although I know how you feel! It would be nice to see the original Japanese episodes uncut and with subtitles, although I still prefer my cartoons dubbed so I can enjoy the artwork and not spend time reading! As for the Cobalt and Ti-tan debate I guess they served their purpose as comic relief characters, but its obvious even Dr. Tezuka did not care for them having had Cobalt killed off in the original manga and Ti-tan's origin never having been reprinted! :astro: :) [/QUOTE]
I do not think that Tezuka necessarily disliked the characters, Chitan or Titan, had many funny scenes in the few episodes in which he appeared, & they were few only because he was not introduced into the series until the 160-something episode. As one of Tezuka's recurring themes was self-sacrifice, Cobalt's demise was likely for some other reason. I would very much like to see the original version of Midoro Swamp so I could know for certain.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say he disliked them! As I said they served their purpose, but I agree with you about the self-sacrifice angle! BTW, you are aware that the original versions are being made available! One can order the Kobunsha reprints of the original versions through you local Japanese bookstore, though they do cost a pretty penny! :astro: :) :astro: :hyo:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

"ASTROBUDDY" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;96212]
I do not think that Tezuka necessarily disliked the characters, Chitan or Titan, had many funny scenes in the few episodes in which he appeared, & they were few only because he was not introduced into the series until the 160-something episode. As one of Tezuka's recurring themes was self-sacrifice, Cobalt's demise was likely for some other reason. I would very much like to see the original version of Midoro Swamp so I could know for certain.

I didn't say he disliked them! As I said they served their purpose, but I agree with you about the self-sacrifice angle! BTW, you are aware that the original versions are being made available! One can order the Kobunsha reprints of the original versions through you local Japanese bookstore, though they do cost a pretty penny! :astro: :) :astro: :hyo: [/QUOTE]
No, I did not know of that.

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

Even though the movie is what caused me to first fall in love with Astro Boy, I would have to say the 2003 series is my most favorite. The movie is second on my AB fav list and the 1980s is third. I love them all very much though. :cool: :heart:
:astro:

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

Ouch trick question. Having seen the feature film first, I would say that since Astro was mature in that and I liked the new world and characters along with the old.

But...nah it's gotta be the 2003 one it's so bright and colorful and cartoon like i really like it! =)

Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bakabits » 14 years ago

CHANGE IN MY FAV!!!!!!!!!!! I now like the 2003 english astro the best. he always wants to be the hero. and he can joke around unlike the 1980s english astro which was my old fav.
Now active on MyAnimeList

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

Well, this is based on "so far..."

I haven't read all the manga, or watched very many of the 80's version (and probably have some gaps in the 1960's version, which is where I began --
"back in the day") -- I would have to say what I feel the least in tune with is the 1980's version. The animation was much better than the original, but -- as cute as he is -- Atom just looks too young to be "believable" as the hero (and his voice in this version just doesn't "fit" the Astro Boy of the 1960's anime. Too "babyish" or something).

I love a lot of what they did to mature him in the movie -- the story line is okay, but I don't "get" the floating Metro City (I start thinking too much about 'how does it stay up there?' and 'if it's in orbit then how can they dump things onto the Earth below? Wouldn't they have to shoot them downward on rockets?') -- It appears to be geosynchronous - why? and what happened to the rest of the Earth? Too many distracting questions! :eek:

I thought they actually did a lot of good things with the 2003 version -- a complete story with a happy ending (sorry, but I like those!) -- he's more like a "boy" than a "little boy" which works for me (Uran/Zoran is believable is a cute but pesky little sister).

So, I vote for favorite -- 1960's (yes, it's dated-looking, but I feel it's closer to Tezuka's original vision); then a tie between 2009 movie and 2003 anime.

Notice I didn't include the NOW! Comics edition! :hyo: :hyo: :hyo:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 14 years ago

My favorite anime is the 80's series because it's so special to me, being my first anime, and it's very true to the manga. I also favorite the manga because that means I get to read the original story unedited, and the movie because 1. it was so cool to see Astro on the big screen in CGI, and 2. it was very exciting and emotional.
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”