Astro Boy Movie: Original Plot

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Great detective work!! It's like Astro CSI!! I have a feeling the truth will all eventually come out . . . !

Lol Astro CSI! Dude we should created a forum club of Astro agents just looking for stuff! XD

"Laughing Dragon" wrote:So instead of Astro sacrificing himself, he gets rescued? How does that ennoble him or make him a hero?

Sorry, guess I'm the lone dissenter here. I don't see that plot as superior to the one Imagi settled on.

I don't think that storyboard would've been the final scene Dragon. If Astro were rescued then he'd most likely go on to try and destroy the robot, or try to convence it to stop attacking the city (like to the way 03 Astro always attempted to seek peace amongst the fighting, could've been a good message) We even don't know why that robot is attacking Metro City. If it's anything like that Franken episode it could have a robot controling it at its core, or perhaps was born from the robot parts. I'd like to think that if it was under the control of one single robot, it'd seeking revenge for the humans throwing it away. XD

"The Tawashi Bus Hat" wrote: :cry:

It could have been great...

Wow. Now I'm depressed. I think I need to eat a tub of ice cream.

:tenma: < I'll join you!

:cry: Let me join you too! *holds up tubs* I got chocolate or vanilla! Take your pick! *sob*

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:Interesting idea but honestly, I think the concept of Astro sacrificing himself works better for the character. This would be good for a sequal but not as a movie meant to introduce people to the character
Though I do like the slightly darker tone. Even though Tezuka's original Astro Boy (though had dark elements) wasn't really a dark series. I mean, how dark can you make something inspired by Fleicher cartoons?

Yeah i'd like to have thought the sacrificing part might've still happened back then. Again i don't think that storyboard was going to be the final scene, so could've had that still in play.

Hmmm, i don't know the answer really =S. Tezuka always got heavily inspired by things like Disney films, but if you conpare them Tezuka's storyline *based from the 3 manga i have on Astro boy and the 1960, 1980 series while he was alive* were somewhat serious at times. Maybe not dark in the sense of 'horror horror omg aaaaaa' but somehow kept it real in a way (an example characters dying and so forth).

I think the series is well balanced, sometimes it is happy, sometimes it is sad, but yeah that's just my opinion. I like dark plot so I'm usually for those lol

And yesh! That this would've been good for a sequel plot! ^-^

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:Interesting idea but honestly, I think the concept of Astro sacrificing himself works better for the character. This would be good for a sequal but not as a movie meant to introduce people to the character
Though I do like the slightly darker tone. Even though Tezuka's original Astro Boy (though had dark elements) wasn't really a dark series. I mean, how dark can you make something inspired by Fleicher cartoons?

I think with Toby's death and Tenma's grief, not to mention the ruthlessness of the movie's villain, the movie we got was plenty dark enough.

Yeah, I don't see this "darkness" element in Astro Boy that some people are talking about. Bad things happened in the manga series, but it still wasn't exactly The Dark Knight. But there was enough darkness to make it resonate and make it memorable, just like the 2009 movie, so maybe that's what people are referring to.

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 14 years ago

Astro Boy MAY HAVE ENEMIES who have darkness in them- but astro boy is so sweet and caring

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 14 years ago

I fail to see how the above post is relevant. > :|
Anyways, it was kind of dark, but... it just wasn't good enough. Most of it was just lame action and bad jokes, as well as crappy artistic direction for practically everything in the movie (although, I kind of liked the city- and Astro wasn't that bad, even though he still had flaws- but then again, he always had flaws, even in those early designs; it seems to have been incredibly difficult to translate his design into 3D in a way that made him look good and pleased everyone...). The whole thing seemed patched together in a hurry (that's what you get for firing half of the staff working on it at the time), and nothing about it was smooth. It wasn't a bad movie, but it was far from good. Also, lamest. Ending. Ever. Terrible. And the cheesy alien music... bleck. I hope someone tries this again, though. And this time, they have to do it right!
lolwut

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

*shrug* I liked the movie very much. I think Imagi did a great job of translating Astro into 3D and adapting his story into an enjoyable film. I agree that the ending seemed tacked-on, and I didn't care for some of the movie's more overt political humor, but neither of those things hurt the film for me. I loved it. :astro:

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 14 years ago

AGREE LAUGHINGDRAGON- I love the movie and how ASTRO BOY care about others- still find it hard to believe it was not more popular- i cry watching the movie and love the movie so much. Love how Cora and the other humans became friends with ASTRO BOY. Can't believe i even felt a little jealous. Love when ASTRO BOY said he was voting for the other guy. Being jealous is a human flaw- but still felt the emotion.

PsychoShinji
Kokoro Robot

Postby PsychoShinji » 14 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this! I totally agree with you... it does sound like they had some GREAT story ideas and concepts going on there. I often found myself thinking (though I did enjoy the movie) that it would've done better with American audiences (and I'm sure I would've enjoyed it even more) if they had only been a bit edgier and darker with the story, much like original material from the manga and anime adaptations.

The other day, I went to see "Iron Man 2" for my third time and took note of the vast number of families with young children present in the theater during that screening. Then I thought about how "Iron Man 2" and "Astro Boy" had some concepts in common, but how they differed... and realized that yup, Iron Man was attracting those families with young kids, teenagers, and adults with the PG-13 level "edge" (in addition to being a fun and awesome story anyway, in my opinion). Then I realized how sad it was that Astro never got to see that same sort of... ENERGY and attention from a widespread, mainstream audience showing up in droves even during the third week in the theater. Makes you wonder what would have happened...

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”