Astro Boy Movie: Original Plot

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Astro Boy Movie: Original Plot

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

If you've visited the Astro Boy Blog recently you'll already know about this.

http://jamesfujiistoryartist.blogspot.com/2010/05/astroboy-developement-boards-part-1.html

http://jamesfujiistoryartist.blogspot.com/2010/05/astroboy-developement-boards-part-2.html

The storyboards show a giant robot attacking Metro City, Zog and the others realize Astro's being used as the power source and climb inside the robot to free their friend. Zog manages to pull the cables free from Astro but he is grabbed in the process.

The giant robot isn't the Peacekeeper, it and the plot is very much like the Franken episode in the 2003 anime (like how it absorbs Astro and other robots.)

If you look closely at this artwork, you can see the robot with the red eyes is the same as the one in the storyboard. Concluding it's possible creation came from the Wastelands below Metro City, which makes sense since it's full of broken robot (again same as how the robot in Franken, used other parts of robots to function).
Astro:Y-You don't wanna eat me, I'm just skins and metal!

It's hard to tell since they are only rough sketches, but Zog looks as though he might resemble this robot which makes it very possible Astro and Zog did fight in the original plot (If you lookherehere and here) where as in the final movie Astro gets a friendly pat on the head x3.

The more stuff that comes out on the early drafts, the more frustrated I find myself becoming. Imagi had some really good material going there, and then they changed the dark atmosphere to a more child friendly tune, and focused more on shapes (why shapes!? it's a building, just animate a building, does it have to be cuuuurvy?)

If they'd stuck with the original work, i hate to even say it but i think the movie might've been better, and Japan wouldn't hate us for making Astro American. Like Tenma clearly puts it.

Excuse me, I need to scream into a pillow :cry: *toddles off*
Last edited by Alittleacorn on Wed May 19, 2010 12:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 14 years ago

"Alittleacorn" wrote:The more stuff that comes out on the early drafts, the more frustrated I find myself becoming. Imagi had some really good material going there, and then they changed the dark atmosphere to a more child friendly tune, and focused more on shapes (why shapes!? it's a building, just animate a building, does it have to be cuuuurvy?)

I agree with you, this looks like something that could have been amazing. Just an idea but, maybe it could be used in a sequel?

"Alittleacorn" wrote:Like Tenma clearly puts it.

lol.
My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

"LLM" wrote:[QUOTE=Alittleacorn;99101]Like Tenma clearly puts it.

lol.[/QUOTE]
LOL indeed! :lol:

Thanks for posting, it is interesting! :D

Faram45
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Faram45 » 14 years ago

That story would have been much better.

Black Rabbit
Beyond the Stars

Postby Black Rabbit » 14 years ago

Lol, Tenma looked crazy. :p :tenma:
... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ... ...
bloop
... ... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ...

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

Great detective work!! It's like Astro CSI!! I have a feeling the truth will all eventually come out . . . !

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

So instead of Astro sacrificing himself, he gets rescued? How does that ennoble him or make him a hero?

Sorry, guess I'm the lone dissenter here. I don't see that plot as superior to the one Imagi settled on.

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 14 years ago

:cry:

It could have been great...

Wow. Now I'm depressed. I think I need to eat a tub of ice cream.

:tenma: < I'll join you!
*dust*

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 14 years ago

"The Tawashi Bus Hat" wrote: :cry:

It could have been great...

Wow. Now I'm depressed. I think I need to eat a tub of ice cream.

:tenma: < I'll join you!

Eat a whole tub!? You're that depressed!? Well, don't make yourself too sick. :lol:
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Interesting idea but honestly, I think the concept of Astro sacrificing himself works better for the character. This would be good for a sequal but not as a movie meant to introduce people to the character
Though I do like the slightly darker tone. Even though Tezuka's original Astro Boy (though had dark elements) wasn't really a dark series. I mean, how dark can you make something inspired by Fleicher cartoons?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”