Universal Pictures To Produce Pluto Live-Action Film

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 13 years ago

"Androids101" wrote:Well at least Tezuka Productions is working alongside them...

Maybe they don't want another mock up. Makes sense.

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

Yeah, as long as Tezuka Productions is assisting, it will help keep the film from being too awful :lol: :)

Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Postby Astro Boy2866 » 13 years ago

Well I hope Tezuka Productions has a little bit more control than when they were helping with the 2009 movie
Image Astro Boy|鉄腕アトム [sigpic][/sigpic]

Check out diehard67's forum
Or check out my YouTube channel

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

"cybotron" wrote: :w00t: [QUOTE=AprilSeven;111152]I totally agree with Cybotron -- and you know what? It WORKS. I own everyone and have shared with others. Sometimes giving people a "sample" or "trial run" of the whole thing sells more that holding back. That said, I understand Jeffbert's concern we are respectful of Tezuka productions copyright issues. A question of balance...as always!

These are not "Bootleg sites" but Tezuka is behind the promotion along with Universal to give away these free manga. Look at the ads! Those are the biggest advertisers around! Those guy's are making money with every hit! If it was not authorized the Copyright holders would be all over them!
They want you and need you drooling over Atom. Without fan lust and excitement the whole film project will collapse! Astroboy adult style. With violence murder and race hate! In every college. Manga style.[/QUOTE]
I was a bit skeptical about this, so I looked for licensing information, but found none. The mere fact that the site has sponsors does not make it a legitimate source for online manga. Though I found no licensing information, I did find this:
Manga Scan Information
The manga scans you will find on this site are ones created by fans. They are not scanned versions of the licensed English versions. On the topic of licensed manga series, I do host licensed series unlike many sites that take down manga scans when they get licensed. I feel that showcasing the series actually helps in sales.

http://www.thespectrum.net/manga_scans/
As much as we may want to share with our friends, a public forum is not the place to share copyrighted material. I should have put a stop to this sooner, so I must take a share of the responsibility.

Do not post any more scans or even links to scans. The exception is the NOW comics version, as the authors, having essentially created unauthorized comics, have no basis for complaint.

You might try simply describing the parts you want to share. This should lead to a discussion just as easily as posting scans, though it will mean more effort for you.
Last edited by jeffbert on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

"Astro Boy8629" wrote:Well I hope Tezuka Productions has a little bit more control than when they were helping with the 2009 movie

You could kinda say that the 2009 film got out of control :lol:

Bigdog
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bigdog » 12 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:I wonder if they'll try to "hide" the connection with Astro Boy. Like it's been said already, it's very probable Atom will keep his Japanese name (if he even is in the movie). However, I can sort of imagine that were the movie turn out to be a huge success, we would get tons of new Astro Boy DVD releases of the old shows with artwork boasting that it "Inspired Pluto!". Maybe, in the most extreme case, they would slowly start ditching the "Astro Boy" name and calling him Atom everywhere even in America, like Osamu Tezuka had originally wanted 50 years ago. :D (you know I'm only dreaming)

I've personally only read the first two Pluto books. I then learned the French editor would release the deluxe edition in a year, so I stopped. It was amazingly good and brought me to tears. But so did a lot of Tezuka's Astro Boy stories.

Necro-Phase ACTIVATE!!!!!

-----
Astro Boy in exchange for the "MIGHTY ATOM"? Hellz yeahz! I love the ring to it.

It's far better than Astro Boy since it has the pulp sci-fi 1950's feel as well as a classic comic book Marvel or DC would have put out around that time, though if they played with the how Westerners called him that like how in Godzilla 1998 Godzilla was known as Gojira it would be a good throwback reference.

I've read up to Volume 5 in the scans and I must say the story is made for film. They'll have to these things or shorten them:
-Keep sotry prior intact : 30 minutes
-The blind pianist side story: That covered 75% of Volume 1 and could be retold in 20 minutes or omitted. Total minutes so far: 30-50 minutes.

-Cut the the story and plot of the first two chapters of the second volume to 15 minutes , then next chapter to a brief conversation between Elefun and Atom . Introduction of hercules can last another 5 minutes ,but cut to where it goes to Turkey with the intro of Brando's fight , then goes to his family which can be another 5 minutes. Total minutes so far: 60-75 minutes.

-Cut the flashbacks unless absolutely necessary. This elminates Chapter 11 of Volume 2

-Then go towards the fight between Brando and Pluto which is shown to begin, cutting to Hercules and Gesicht trying to find him to no avail since his GPS was "turned off." He is found dead with his arms in the form of horns into the rock and Gesicht is messaged to Roosevelt's location where he is cut to (nearby or a month later) and swaps memory chips with it. 15 min. Total minutes: 75-80 minutes.

-First three chapters can be abridged to 15-17 more minutes, skip Acts 20 and 22 and 23 can be told in 3 minutes flat. Total minutes so far: 93-98 minutes.

-Volumes 4 and 5 can be shortened to 30 minutes of run time. 123-128 minutes. Volume 6 is abridged to 20 minutes. 143-148 minutes.

-Volume 7's story and plot can be shortend to 15 minutes. 158-163 minutes.

-Volume 8 is 20 minutes. 178-183 minutes.

Total ideal running time for film adaptation : 2 hours , 40 minutes.

While the story is great, I paved through it easily like nothing and if I can pave through the first 4 like that in a hour or two, the rest should take as long.Then again, I read things fast, having paced through the Hunger Games trilogy , halved Battle Royale and beaten through the Unfortunate Events Series. The Scott Pilgrim books, at least the first two, were like 15-20 minutes so I can see why it was all adapted at once.

The same can be done with PLUTO as long as they attract audiences and are smart about it all.

Rick
Metro City Citizen

Postby Rick » 12 years ago

No, not again. America, don´t make anime movies.
Nothing against America or American film companies.
But we have seen it on the Astro Boy Movie, Digimon the movie
and Dragonball. America can not make anime films. And why
and how to make Tezuka productionsso something?
Japan has Square Enix. They can make a true Astro Boy movie. :)
Astro Boy in Final Fantasy stile :lol: :astro:
Astro love the Earth and the Earth love Astro. :astro:

shahinaa50
Metro City Citizen

Postby shahinaa50 » 12 years ago

YAY! ASTRO IS BACK ON SCREEN SOON! SINCE THE 2009 MOVIE RIGHT? YAY IM SO HAPPY FOR HIM! ;) WHO'S WITH ME! :astro:

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 12 years ago

Not me. I'm not looking forward to the live-action film cause er....>_> I don't like Pluto. The story in the manga is brillent, the art style just wasn't ever for me. Plus Atom seemed kind of cold at times o_o

So film? Bah humbug! :lol:

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 12 years ago

"Alittleacorn" wrote:Not me. I'm not looking forward to the live-action film cause er....>_> I don't like Pluto. The story in the manga is brillent, the art style just wasn't ever for me. Plus Atom seemed kind of cold at times o_o

So film? Bah humbug! :lol:

And also the fact that its anime and its...live action :lol: :eek: Wasn't there one ages ago that went horribly wrong? :confused: :lol:

Most of the story was great, but, myself into sci-fi, the idea of robots having wives and eating seems a bit too far out... :lol: :ninja:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”