Versions of the Tezuka Characters:pro & cons

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astronomical girl
Banned

Versions of the Tezuka Characters:pro & cons

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

Manga and Anime versions tend to differ from each other but people have preferences,so which version is better drawn or is rather out there?

Astro
(Pluto)
(03 series)
(03 manga)
(original manga)

I'll post the others later
Unyongnekasayo

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

I don't know why, but I find I can truly enjoy all different forms. The realistic version is enjoyable being we are actually living during Astro's "time" and I find it intriguing to imagine the story actually taking place.

He is the "cutest" in the 80's style, but I feel as a character he works best slightly older (an older child or young teen is more apt to possess the maturity he displays).
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Astronomical girl
Banned

i can see that but do you think that in the Pluto series he was more realistic?
Unyongnekasayo

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

Okay. I will now say what I think of the different 'Astro's.

To be extremely honest with you (I know a lot of people will disagree with this), but I dislike Astro as he appeared in Pluto, especially the fact that they removed most of the things that made Astro 'Astro', such as his signature red boots, his horns or even his "wittle tushie". Uran has the same problem; come to think of it, most of the characters have that problem. I don't mind a bit of character changing, it makes the plot more interesting, but when you've changed the main character LIKE THAT, whats the point!? :confused:

Again, there will be some disagreements here, but personally I believe that the '03 Astro is the best drawn, in fact, so is most of the characters. I liked how they maked the characters 'clean', if you know where I'm getting at, but also I just like how the characters are drawn.

Tenma and O'Shay wouldn't be too happy if they saw how they looked like in the film. I wasn't too happy either. But the point is Imagi didn't have a lot of choice, that is just one of the many issues from converting anime/manga to C.G.I (2D to 3D), and imagine for a bit that Tenma looked exactly like he looked in the manga/anime. It'll look strange

Astronomical girl
Banned

yeah,but i imagined that he would take on more on his 03 design,becuase lets face it

:tenma: I was walking skeleton with feathers for hair
Unyongnekasayo

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

At first I was a bit shocked :lol:

Astronomical girl
Banned

about Astro in Pluto or Tenma and O'Shay in the 09 movie?
Unyongnekasayo

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Honest, both. They just weren't alike enough.

Astronomical girl
Banned

i'm lost here :confused:
Unyongnekasayo

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

There's actually a noticeable difference in the art style between the original manga and the 60's TV series, mostly in the body proportions and how the faces are drawn. They're very similar yes, but different.

I happen to like the original manga's style, since I like Tezuka's art style. 2003's style would probably be my second favorite.

Can't say I like the 80's style though. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I just wasn't very fond of its animation, the coloring or the way they did the eyes or body proportions. Some of the clothing is also a bit much for me. I personally find the 60's series and Jetter Mars to have been animated better, despite the two obviously being older than the 80's series.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”