Ochanimizu and Tenma's Relationship

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

This discussion excludes the 2009 film:

Because the 1st we see of Ochanomizu is well after Atom's creation, it seems safe to say that he was not working in the MINISTRY OF SCIENCE prior to his being appointed its head. Perhaps he had previously retired from the MOS, who can say for certain? :unsure: It may be that in the original version of the comics, this was clarified.

I think Ochanomizu would be sympathetic toward Tenma, seeing he had so desperately tried to bring Tobio back to life, though as a robot whose memories of his papa were fabricated. I do not think his attitude would change even after he paid Skunk to recover Atom for him, especially since he was pivotal in the case of THE EGYPTIAN CONSPIRATORS, when he not only helped Atom, but confessed to Cleopatra that he had been wrong about the JAPANESE PEOPLE FROM OUTER SPACE, & was at that time Angry because Atom had defied him.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:(Oh, cool topic!)

O'Shay: Why wouldn't she have been interested in you?

Tenma: Oh well, I liked to work on my little things, my machines... I didn't have much time left for girls.

O'Shay: Yet she remained around you...

Tenma: Yes. I think I impressed her with my creativity. She said I seemed to go beyond what she thought possible. It felt good to be finally able to share my discoveries with someone.

O'Shay; That's wonderful! So, eventually you warmed up to her, right?

Tenma; Well...yes...In fact, I think I noticed I was beginning to grow attached to ehr company once she began calling me...

(becomes silent, causing O'Shay to raise an eyebrow)

O'Shay; Yes, she called you...

(Tenma hesitates for a moment before taking a gulp to speak again)

Tenma; Tarou-chan...

O'Shay; Tarou-chan? (laughs) That seems about right!

(O'Shay continues to laugh, unaware of the anger forming on Tenma's face)

Tenma; You know, maybe I'll just be on my way-

O'Shay; No, no it's alright! (finally manages to calm himself down) Anyway, let's continue.

I agree on with you on the sympathy part Jeffbert, though I think even O'Shay has his limits depending on which version you look at.

If we're talking the 60 and 80's series, then I think Ochanimizu/O'Shay would defenitely feel the sympathy regarding tenma. If we're talking 03 series however, I honestly feel his sympathy would only decrease given Tenma's obsession with Astro/Atom in that particular version. After all, there's only so much you can take when you have one specific person comign after your loved a various different times.

Bigdog
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bigdog » 12 years ago

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:[QUOTE=Astro Forever;190579](Oh, cool topic!)

O'Shay: Why wouldn't she have been interested in you?

Tenma: Oh well, I liked to work on my little things, my machines... I didn't have much time left for girls.

O'Shay: Yet she remained around you...

Tenma: Yes. I think I impressed her with my creativity. She said I seemed to go beyond what she thought possible. It felt good to be finally able to share my discoveries with someone.

O'Shay; That's wonderful! So, eventually you warmed up to her, right?

Tenma; Well...yes...In fact, I think I noticed I was beginning to grow attached to ehr company once she began calling me...

(becomes silent, causing O'Shay to raise an eyebrow)

O'Shay; Yes, she called you...

(Tenma hesitates for a moment before taking a gulp to speak again)

Tenma; Tarou-chan...

O'Shay; Tarou-chan? (laughs) That seems about right!

(O'Shay continues to laugh, unaware of the anger forming on Tenma's face)

Tenma; You know, maybe I'll just be on my way-

O'Shay; No, no it's alright! (finally manages to calm himself down) Anyway, let's continue.

I agree on with you on the sympathy part Jeffbert, though I think even O'Shay has his limits depending on which version you look at.

If we're talking the 60 and 80's series, then I think Ochanimizu/O'Shay would defenitely feel the sympathy regarding tenma. If we're talking 03 series however, I honestly feel his sympathy would only decrease given Tenma's obsession with Astro/Atom in that particular version. After all, there's only so much you can take when you have one specific person comign after your loved a various different times.[/QUOTE]

Tenma then gathers himself and sits back to face Ochanomizu square in the eye, beaming an antagonism through his eyes and creased frown on his beaded sweated face. Glancing down at the purple crisscorssed carpet below their feet, Tenma then enters into a trance-like state, recalling his every memory with her.

T: She called me Tarou-chan that one day at the Musashino Park. This had to be our first date together as a couple.

After we took a long awesome stroll through the forest trails, we sat down at a park bench and ate a lunch I packed for us.

O: What was it of?

T: It was of sushi I had made for her and I , two half sets of Rainbow sushi with Eel and Mackerel sashimi, her favorite. Not that I was exactly a chef, you know.

Tenma chuckles slightly , but then smiles, albeit choked up for words.

O: Is it alright--

Ignoring his words, Tenma continued,

T: At best it was shoddy ,but she didn't care about it. Did I ever tell you my father was a sushi chef? I thought I got his abilities and I guess I did.She said my sushi looked like one of the best made and you know me, I could hardly see it myself until I finally tried my half. :a thoughtful sigh of content:

It tasted exactly like my father's with all the warm memories as a young schoolboy's lunch and dinner associated with--.

Tears came pouring down his eyes like a river.

O: You never told me...

T: My fathe....left me when I was only 9. Or so I thought.

O: What do you mean?

T:He hung himself while I was in the hospital for an infection gone deadly. I was supposed to have died a day after, but the black doctor, a so called "demon of the scalpel" , healed me and brought me to health over the course of a few months.

O:Black Jack?

T: No , it was Dr. Honma. For all the work he did for me , it still did not save my father.

O: I see. Is this why--

T: It is . After that revelation , I did not want anyone I love to die if I could help it . I suppose this was the overarching reason why I built Atom with the memories and heart of my dear Tobio. To keep my son from dying again.
Last edited by Bigdog on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

SpaceCookie
Banned

Postby SpaceCookie » 12 years ago

(Don't mean to interrupt the RP...lol...but this should be an rp thread. XDDDD This is pretty cool so far! And an interesting question.)

I personally think that Dr. Elefun...or Dr. Ochanomizu as some prefer..would be...as you said in the beginning, Pretty. He'd regard Tenma as an ally. A fellow work colleague interested in pushing the limits of science and making break throughs like himself. Although...I think there would be one key difference. While Elefun would respect him as a scientist..he would probably also fear Tenma a little bit. Or at least be a teeny bit nervous around him. Seeing as how Tenma's the kind of man that doesn't always follow scientifically ethical procedure.

Tenma on the other hand I feel like would have great respect for Elefun as a man and seek his advice on matters OUTSIDE of work, but not in. He doesn't seem to ever really regard Elefun as a rival or even really a challenge as a scientist in the 2003 series. :/ But in life...normal..everyday life...I feel like he'd be questioning him all the time. "How can I have a better relationship with my son?" "My wife?" "What do you think about this?"

^^

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Alright then. I'm having fun with this, so maybe I'll take your advice and move it over to the RP section. Thank you.

Ooh, I like that idea; it actually kind of makes sense that Tenma might see Ochanizmizu as being more successful in life than he is. After all, Ochanimizu is kind and able to open up to people more, whereas Tenma is much mroe cold despite his capability to loving others.

I don't really know if Ochanimizu would fear Tenma in some regard, he's much mroe open-minded, though perhaps maybe that's just his relentless streak kicking in.

SpaceCookie
Banned

Postby SpaceCookie » 12 years ago

I don't know if you've ever read the Pluto Manga..but there's a scene where...after Astro breaks down....Tenma sits up for literally 18 hours without sleep doing what it takes to fix him. And in the 2003 series..I mean c'mon! He built a robot that builds robots. :/ Tenma is a super genuis. Who happens to be certifiably insane. :/ He COULD...theoretically...in his own right be classified as a weopan of Mass destruction due to the kinds of robots he creates.

I think Dr. Elefun would be afraid. :/ Maybe not afraid of Tenma as a man...but as a scientist..most definitely.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Okay, fair enough.

I haven't exactly read the Pluto manga just yet, though I'm always looking for new manga to read so I may pick that one up when I get the time.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

@SpaceCookie - yeah - in Pluto, Ochanimizu seemed almost slightly intimidated by Tenma - but wanted to win his favor so he might save Atom. Tenma clearly came across as a scientific "rock star" and super-geek: very disconnected - he tossed Dr. O a compliment when he remarked that he saw they had done everything "perfectly" to try and revive Atom.

But it was clear he wasn't going to divulge what was needed to save him. After he worked through the night and Dr. O brings him tea (which he ignores), Tenma goes on to talk about his only perfect robot (returning to the topic that upset Ochanomizu when earlier he had brusquely dismissed Atom as a failure) - you can see Ochanomizu both in awe and horror over Tenma's words.

But the kicker was at the very end when Ochanomizu turns the tables on Tenma and basically tells him to "get a life!" That actually made me laugh out loud and pump my fist shouting "YEAH!! You tell him!!" So, in the end, Ochanomizu realizes his own value in the scheme of things and stands up to Tenma. I LOVE that!

Tenma is clearly supposed to be an Enstein-level genius, and Ochanomizu is first and foremost a humanist - and those two together represent the conflict between "science for science sake" and science for betterment of all that exists."

Another thing - if any of you have seen 1960's episode 97 "Mystery of the Metal Men" you'll see Ochanomizu and Tenma as polite and friendly colleagues who work together with Astro (in an alternate universe). So a partnership IS possible! :p
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

(laughs) That doesn't surprise me, O'Shay/Ochanimizu is pretty out spoken, so it makes sense he'd stand up to Tenma.

Man though, I really got to read Pluto when I get the time...Maybe after Christmas...

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Tenma is clearly supposed to be an Einstein-level genius, and Ochanomizu is first and foremost a humanist - and those two together represent the conflict between "science for science sake" and science for betterment of all that exists."

Good insight, AprilSeven; I liken Tenma to Dr. Frankenstein (of the novel, not so much the films), because both regarded their creations the cold scientific detachment, rather than fatherly love. Once they realized these creations failed to please them, they cast them out. Regardless of how Tenma may have certain similarities to Gepetto, he has stronger ties with Dr. F.

Though to use the term humanist with respect to Dr. O, I wonder if this is too narrow, because clearly, robots are not humans. Ochanomizu makes little distinction, if any, between them, though. :astro: "science for science sake" and science for betterment of all that exists" on the other hand, seems too broad; perhaps sentient beings, is more appropriate. :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”