The message Astro boy gives to us.

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 12 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Novacain: likewise, have you seen this whole series before seeing any other?

I grew up with the 80's series and saw the rest afterwards. I actually prefer the black and white over the other two though.

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 12 years ago

I've been wondering for a while, what is the message/lesson That Astro gives to us all?

Every person has a potential if they are given the chance to bring it forth.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

O.k., so far we have only two who gave both their 1st seen series & the message they thought the series conveyed:
"SolidiumSherlock" wrote:Greetings, Everyone.

I've been wondering for a while, what is the message/lesson That Astro gives to us all? Is it hope? To love and help every person dear to you? The way Astro does the same is really inspiring.

"SolidiumSherlock" wrote:The first version of Astro Boy that i've ever seen was 03's version. But i'm in LOVE with the 80's version. It's a pure classic.

So, which of the two do you believe best conveys the message that you received? Oh, & as you ask the opening question, I am a bit unsure as to what you think is the message. Please clarify. :p

"Novacain" wrote:For me :astro: has always been a symbol of strength. And by strength I mean in all forms...

Like the ability to accept each other no matter what shade, the dexterity to judge whether to forgive or to fight back, and being strong enough find hope... even during trying times.

"Novacain" wrote:The 80's version was the first series I saw

Yes, I believe there is an anti-discrimination message in every version, so this is no surprise. In fact, this is probably the central theme of whole corpus.

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 12 years ago

I think one of the AB series' lessons is not to get judgmental by mere forms of appearances, but rather to judge with the heart. Likewise, Astro accepts his human friends the way they are, no matter whether they're thin, thick, tiny, tall or whatever. He feels unconditional love for each human being as well as for animals. (...well, Chili the red cat might've been an exception... ;) )

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Interesting points, Strange Wings; which series did you 1st watch; & which do you consider most influential on your opinions?

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Well, since I was an 80's child, I first watched the 80's series in french; I think it was around 1986. Thanks to this forum, I've learned about the '03 series when I joined here, consequently the original 60's series has been my next discovery.
It's funny, I can't really tell which series I prefer most, as I like all 3 equally.
At first thought I would have said I liked the 80's series best (both of the english and french dubs), also because of my fond childhood memories. However, both the '03 and 60's versions (only in Japanese, mind you :) ) grew on me very firmly during the recent years. Mari Shimizu and Makoto Tsumura did such a stellar job doing Astro's voice!

Which series was most influental on my opinion? It's hard to say..., I may be too diplomatic, but I'd say each Astro Boy release (including the Mangas) made me feel that way. Each series' incarnation has its charm which keeps touching me at the right spot.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

:lol: diplomatic is the right word. :p

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 12 years ago

"Strange Wings" wrote:He feels unconditional love for each human being as well as for animals. (...well, Chili the red cat might've been an exception... ;) )

What do you mean? :confused:

Oh, that... :p

"Strange Wings" wrote:Well, since I was an 80's child, I first watched the 80's series in french; I think it was around 1986. Thanks to this forum, I've learned about the '03 series when I joined here, consequently the original 60's series has been my next discovery.
It's funny, I can't really tell which series I prefer most, as I like all 3 equally.

Did the series you discover later grew on you, or did you like them that much from the start?

I absolutely love the Tenma arc in the 2003 series, but find the whole series a little bit uneven... Well now that I think of it, it's the same for the 1980 series, I don't like all the episodes but as a whole I like it better.

As for the message, I think I could almost think of a different message every day for several days, but they would probably be similar to what others have already said. I think I like the contrast between Astro's physical power and the fact that he uses it only as a last resort. I guess Novacain is very close already to what I am trying to say.

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

"Astro Forever" wrote:What do you mean? :confused:

Oh, that... :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: Touché!
I didn't know there was a GIF around from that scene! :lol:

"Astro Forever" wrote:Did the series you discover later grew on you, or did you like them that much from the start?

I liked them pretty much from the start. It probably took some epidose (sorry, I meant 'episodes' :) ) before I really got into them. The '03 series may lack the humor of the previous 2 versions, yet, new story arcs have been developed.
The 60's series on the other hand may lack fluidity in comparison to the newer ones, but that's just part of the charm the series has to me.

I like the 80's series overall as well, although there's that one episode 'The Snow Leopard' which didn't grew on me much. The characters' layout leaves a lot to be desired; and the story is way too over the top for me (weird scientist with sick tan claims control over humanity by applying energy-absorbing snow, has his base built up in the clouds, holding a leopard keeping an eye on boy robots cram-full of energy). :eek:
Last edited by Strange Wings on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 12 years ago

"Strange Wings" wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Touché!
I didn't know there was a GIF around from that scene! :lol:

I think somebody had made a gif of that scene before I did, in fact I thought you were the one, but I may be mistaken. ;)

"Strange Wings" wrote:The 60's series on the other hand may lack fluidity in comparison to the newer ones, but that's just part of the charm the series has to me.

After all these years, I'm still wondering whether I should give this one a try, which was why I was asking. :unsure: I must admit that I have yet to see anybody here admit they didn't like it. :confused: Many images also make me curious. I guess if the message is the same, it's still Astro Boy and I should give it a try, but from the little I saw, I had trouble forgetting about the animation. Thanks. :)

"Strange Wings" wrote:I like the 80's series overall as well, although there's that one episode 'The Snow Leopard' which didn't grew on me much. The characters' layout leaves a lot to be desired; and the story is way too over the top for me (weird scientist with sick tan claims control over humanity by applying energy-absorbing snow, has his base built up in the clouds, holding a leopard keeping an eye on boy robots cram-full of energy). :eek:

I'd never thought of this episode that way! :lol: I try not to think too much of what may be strange, as long as an episode is coherent within the rest of the series. In this case, I must admit that there are many other strange underground/hidden worlds, but no other episode with creatures living on the clouds. :eek:

I think one of my main problem with the 2003 series is that I find that the message is too often made too obvious! Sometimes I feel the message is more powerful when not said out loud, when the action speaks for itself instead. But I don't know if it's only because I've watched it first as an adult. :confused: All I can say is that I don't get this feeling when watching the 1980 series.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”