History of 80s Astroboy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
GreenDarthVader
Kokoro Robot

History of 80s Astroboy?

Postby GreenDarthVader » 11 years ago

I have recently become a big fan of astro boy (and, through it, Tezuke in general). It all started when a friend and I started watching old cartoons and riffing them. We picked out Speed Racer and 80s Astro boy. We still mock Speed Racer, but after a while we stopped watching Astro boy to mock it, and started watching it for the enjoyment of the cartoon itself. While not perfect, the series was an interesting combination of action, fun, and depression (and, in my opinion, more enjoyable than the 2004 version, though I've only seen 10 episodes). And the voice acting- both the good or the bad- was unlike almost any other voice performances out there. Because of this, I'd love to learn more about it's production, specifically the dub: Why was episode 1 and 2 spliced together? What were the greatest challenges in adapting the japanese to english? How did people get the job? What did the cast do before/ after astro boy? How did they get into character? I've tried searching the internet for possible interviews, but instead I keep finding interviews for "the movie." Browsing this forum, I've noticed a few posts by the person who did the voice of Skunk in the series (like a photo of the cast). So, my question is, are there any good links to webpages or to forum posts that have some sort of history of the 80s astro boy dub? Thank you.

Amaryllis
Kokoro Robot

Postby Amaryllis » 11 years ago

You might have found some of these threads already, but I decided to search for all the threads related to the 1980 cast that I could think of. Here you go!

About the pilot.

A thread all the way from 2005!

Another early thread.

Lots of commentary about the dub.

And even more info!

This stuff is really fascinating, and it's thanks to finding the first link through Google that I discovered these forums.
Last edited by Amaryllis on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Welcome to the forums, GreenDarthVader (that's a fascinating name you've got there!!)

And thank you, Amaryllis for collecting some threads that will help GDV learn more about the 80's series. Our search feature can help uncover lots of info, including posts by members Jayrath and Bob Gonzalez who were both voice actors on the 1980's series and very readily share their experiences.

Editing and censorship played a part in all three Astro Boy anime series, which were altered from their original state (some episodes more than others). The beginning of the 80's series was especially different, as Atlas' story was drastically altered. Another one of our members, Jeffbert, has done a tremendous job posting story synopsis, both here and on another Tezuka/Astro Boy website - tezukainenglish.com

Hope you enjoy your time here!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

GreenDarthVader
Kokoro Robot

Thank you so much for all the info! I can't wait to start reading. That's interesting that they did record the voice for the full first episode, but cut it.

As for my name, it comes from the split second in the Time Machine episode where, after Rock says "This IS science fiction", a green darth vader pops up and says "WHAT?".

GreenDarthVader
Kokoro Robot

"Amaryllis" wrote:You might have found some of these threads already, but I decided to search for all the threads related to the 1980 cast that I could think of. Here you go!

About the pilot.

A thread all the way from 2005!

Another early thread.

Lots of commentary about the dub.

And even more info!

This stuff is really fascinating, and it's thanks to finding the first link through Google that I discovered these forums.

In you're fourth link, someone posted a link to the thread that has the
the cast photo with jay identifying them

Just thought it would be nice to have all these links together. :lol:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

Hello GreenDarthVader, I add that more than a few of the 1980s series' episodes were remakes of stories that originated in comic form, and that had versions in live-action ( only 7, though) & an earlier animated series.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Hello GreenDarthVader, I add that more than a few of the 1980s series' episodes were remakes of stories that originated in comic form, and that had versions in live-action ( only 7, though) & an earlier animated series.
So basically (almost) everything except for the more fleshed out Atlas episodes which where amazing by the way.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

There may be a few seemingly unique episodes, or, perhaps I should say a few that were not based on earlier AB stories from either the comics or other animated series, but offhand, I cannot be certain. :p

GreenDarthVader
Kokoro Robot

I think the Uran at Hollywood episode, while based on the Astro goes to Hollywood story, was an example of a unique episodes, though that is getting slightly off topic.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"GreenDarthVader" wrote:I think the Uran at Hollywood episode, while based on the Astro goes to Hollywood story, was an example of a unique episodes, though that is getting slightly off topic.

What "Astro Boy goes to Hollywood" story?

I :heart: :astro: :)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”