Images & credits of every voiced Astro (80s) character (thanks Jay Rath)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 11 years ago

One of our fellow fans has just disputed one of my voice credits. I want to make clear that he could very easily be correct. I love you all, but you're asking me to call upon memories of 30 years ago. I really do need to pull the scripts, and I will. Patti and I were the only ones to save them, and she threw hers out some years ago.

The point is that I don't want to put myself above any of the other cast members. We were a team then and, today separated by time and geography, we remain a team.

Finally, I want you all to know how much I truly value your attention to all of our work. I'll take credit only for this much: that I knew very well at the time that we were helping to contribute to something very, very special.

foxwolf2099
Kokoro Robot

Postby foxwolf2099 » 11 years ago

You're always very humble Jay and as you mentioned, to recall 30 year memories is no easy feat. I've been in contact with Bob Gonzalez via email and he mentioned the only character he recalled voicing was Daddy Walrus :P

May I ask which character is in dispute? I will add that for a handful of minor roles, I credited based on my ear. I found Paul Nelson, Greg Zerkle, Brian Parry and Bob Gonzalez's voices to be distinct enough to identify.

I did credit you as Professor Rindolph from Astro's First Love so I may have been wrong there.

I did have a question for you. Apart from being the main character, was there any other reason why Patti didn't voice any other characters? Thanks again Jay.

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Photar » 11 years ago

Ok forget my post. I shouldve read it before saying behindthevoice was OCD :) Lol. Foxwolf, Im also from Australia and watched Astroboy in the 80s. Whereabouts in Oz are you from. My god youve put a LOT of effort into that site. The matching up and pictures for the 1980 Astroboy is amazing alone!!!

Great to have you on board'
[sigpic][/sigpic]

foxwolf2099
Kokoro Robot

Postby foxwolf2099 » 11 years ago

Thanks for the kudos on the site. It started out as a hobby pet project of mine from simply wanting to see the faces of the voice actors who voiced my favorite characters and just grew from there.

I was born and grew up in Adelaide (lived in Canberra for a couple years) but moved to the US (near Los Angeles) 8 years ago.

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Sorry. Was not my intention to make a big deal out of it. Its just I LOVE the scene from Robot Vikings where the lead robot stops and says 'Look at this stupid dog, he doesnt even run away' and then Ganoung says 'On top of that he's in our way', to which the leader replies 'Go ahead, STEP ON HIM'. Queue a BIG run up to which Astro replies by catching his foot and throwing him. The lead robot gets picked up, turned around, DROPPED and then punched in the groin for good measure. I only picked it to be Zerkle's voice from the next bit when he says 'Did you see what he did, that mutt thinks he's pretty smart etc etc etc'. Please I didnt mean to dispute or correct or anything else. And yeah, I sortof only just realised this was a LONG time ago. 1986.....crikey I was in grade 3 (7 years old) and the Challenger had just exploded.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

"Fotar" wrote:Sorry. Was not my intention to make a big deal out of it. Its just I LOVE the scene from Robot Vikings where the lead robot stops and says 'Look at this stupid dog, he doesnt even run away' and then Ganoung says 'On top of that he's in our way', to which the leader replies 'Go ahead, STEP ON HIM'. Queue a BIG run up to which Astro replies by catching his foot and throwing him. The lead robot gets picked up, turned around, DROPPED and then punched in the groin for good measure. I only picked it to be Zerkle's voice from the next bit when he says 'Did you see what he did, that mutt thinks he's pretty smart etc etc etc'. Please I didnt mean to dispute or correct or anything else. And yeah, I sortof only just realised this was a LONG time ago. 1986.....crikey I was in grade 3 (7 years old) and the Challenger had just exploded.

No, I gladly welcome correction! I'm not convinced it's Greg, but it might be. It's really hard for me to tell. I'll know more when I pull the script.

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

"foxwolf2099" wrote:I did have a question for you. Apart from being the main character, was there any other reason why Patti didn't voice any other characters? Thanks again Jay.

Well, for one thing, Patti was pregnant during the pilot, so of course she had a baby to take care of during all the rest of the taping. Also, we were paid a straight fee for all our work, no matter the number of roles. I'm sure that that the producers felt that Patti had too much work already, without adding to her roles. But she is a very talented actress, and I'm proud to have worked with her afterward in several radio dramas.

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Lol, I watched 'The White Planet' last night. Skunk is so despicably evil hahahahah. The voice you used is perfect.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”