Who is your favorite character in Tetsuwan Atom?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Toshio
Banned

Who is your favorite character in Tetsuwan Atom?

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

I'll say: Uran.
I do know that Atom is the main character, but I love Uran so much.
I don't want to call her as "Zoran" anymore, after all that name is just a lie for those fools who wanted to avoid making mention of "Uranium" and "Atom" in the dub.

AstroBoyGF
On a Flight into Space

Postby AstroBoyGF » 11 years ago

i love astro boy bc well inna lot of way he is like me both been thru hard time were very diff the most of the people around our peers. ive been treated not like a human but a thing alot in my life. and i just connect emotionally to him. and i see just alot of myself in him good bad and ugly. there is alot i could say but i dont wana take up alot of this thread XD
And the nursery and Paradise Estate didn't really collapse. The moon's made of green cheese, and I'm the queen of England!"
-MLP lickety split

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 11 years ago

It's a toss-up between Atom and Tenma. If I had to choose one, I'd choose Atom. Great character in all aspects in my opinion. Well, except for the fact that he's too pacifistic sometimes. All great characters have a flaw to them though, and that's what makes Atom a great character. He isn't perfect, but strives to be as good as he can.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

I would say Astro himself, but of course, without the humor/action generated by the other colorful characters, I would find him a little "boring", if I may say that.

I like the emotionally tortured Tenma as well, he has a lot of depth.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Atom, hands down. I'd say Cobalt, too, but I haven't seen enough of him yet! ^-^ It's a shame he's been so neglected over the years...

(And I'm pretty sure that "Zoran" IS her name for the 2003 anime series, in any language- at least, I'm pretty sure that that's what I read a while back. And while her name IS a nod to the particular element, I don't think she was ever called "Uranium".)
lolwut

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

Let's be realist: Cobalt was not even added in Tap Tap Rush which means the writters believes him to be obsolete. Uran was the closest sibling to Atom even in the 1963 series and is the reason which Cobalt got the boot.
Also, we must understand that dub names are NOT real names.
My liking of Uran made me wish to get serious with the tablet.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Actually, that's not always true. Tenma and Tawashi's names stayed the same. And in FMA, Edward and Alphonse Elric stayed as "Edward and Alphonse Elric". Those are just a few examples.

And WHO SAYS Atom wasn't as close with ANY of his siblings? There were plenty of 1960's episodes featuring Atom with Cobalt, as well as all of his siblings (including Chi-tan), and from what I gather, they were all pretty close. If you don't believe me, check out some of jeffbert's threads.

The reason Cobalt faded into relative obscurity, was because his role was filled by Atlas in both the 1980's and 2003 iterations of the series. Having another "brother-figure" would be redundant. However, in spite of this, I am of the belief that, even if the "evil twin" dynamic was reintroduced into a future iteration, Cobalt could still be inserted into the story somehow.

As for Chi-tan, he was only ever a comic-relief character (as well as a possible homage to the "Popeye" character "Swee' Pea"), so while reference and homage may still be made, he's the only one I'd consider to be truly "obsolete".
lolwut

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

Little Brown Fox
Actually, Uran is still called Uran in the Japanese version, her nam was changed to Zoran for the American dub.

Toshio
Uh, no offense, but don't you think you're being unfair to the producers by calling the,m fools. Yes, the American producers changed things in the dub version that I viamently disagree with, but I don;t think the name changes were all that bad. For example, I actually like the name Zoran, and prefer it to Uran.

To get on the actual subject, my favourite character is Tenma. He's just so sympathetic and interesting, and SO deliciously evil!

Shiyonasan
Administrator

600th post!

Postby Shiyonasan » 11 years ago

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:Little Brown Fox
Actually, Uran is still called Uran in the Japanese version, her nam was changed to Zoran for the American dub.

I will help Prettywitchiusaka confirm this: she is in fact called "Uran" in the Japanese version in the 2003 anime. I watched the 2003 anime just this past year and I remember her being called Uran. "Zoran" is exclusive to the American version.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Oh. I thought I read it somewhere... oh well. The one advantage of "Zoran" is that it eliminates the dilemma of how to pronounce "Uran" (the Japanese pronunciation of which is very similar to that of "Zoran").

I wouldn't know, because I can't find the Japanese version online anywhere. I suppose I would have to buy it from Japan, but not only would that be too expensive; it would also be impractical, as I cannot understand Japanese. :(
lolwut

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”