ASTRO BOY PLANET 13 FILM REEL FROM THE 60S NBC ENGLISH VERSION ON SALE!!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

I vaguely remember when Astroboy first showed in NY. Episode #1 showed the night of the Jewish Rosh Hashanah holiday and I missed it because I couldn't watch TV. The first episode I saw was "Frankenstein" (that was the Japanese name, I forget the name of the episode in English). I never did catch a re-run of the first episode. The first time I ever saw it was a few years ago when someone posted it on Youtube.

Now as for the reel being marked "1959", the film could have been re-spooled and the label on the reel might not correspond to the film on it. In fact, that's very likely.

My father had an old 16mm projector but we got rid of it when he died. It was not a sound projector and could not handle reels quite that large either. I remember when I was in HS a friend gave me a box full of 16mm film clips thrown out by the network. It turned out to be a complete (with commericals!) episode of 'bewitched'. I 'stole' an empty reel from the A/V department at school and spliced the whole thing together at home using my fathers film splicer, then brought the film to school and we watched it during lunch hour. I had to spool the film by hand since my father's projector couldn't handle a large enough reel.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"kscharf" wrote:I vaguely remember when Astroboy first showed in NY. Episode #1 showed the night of the Jewish Rosh Hashanah holiday and I missed it because I couldn't watch TV. The first episode I saw was "Frankenstein" (that was the Japanese name, I forget the name of the episode in English). I never did catch a re-run of the first episode. The first time I ever saw it was a few years ago when someone posted it on Youtube. Now as for the reel being marked "1959", the film could have been re-spooled and the label on the reel might not correspond to the film on it. In fact, that's very likely. My father had an old 16mm projector but we got rid of it when he died. It was not a sound projector and could not handle reels quite that large either. I remember when I was in HS a friend gave me a box full of 16mm film clips thrown out by the network. It turned out to be a complete (with commericals!) episode of 'bewitched'. I 'stole' an empty reel from the A/V department at school and spliced the whole thing together at home using my fathers film splicer, then brought the film to school and we watched it during lunch hour. I had to spool the film by hand since my father's projector couldn't handle a large enough reel.

I am sorry, but your recollection of missing the first episode of Astro Boy because of Rosh Hashanah cannot be correct, at least by what is known as the official premiere date of Astro Boy in NYC.
According to Schodt and Ladd in their books about Astro Boy, the show premiered in NYC on what was then WNEW on Saturday, Sept. 7, 1963. According to the 1963 calendar, the first night of Rosh Hashanah fell on Wed. Sept. 18, 1963. Since Astro Boy aired at 7:00pm on Saturdays, there is no way it could have fallen on Rosh Hashanah in 1963. I am sorry, but these are easily verifiable facts. Although it would have been nice if it had fallen on Rosh Hashanah because that is the Jewish New Year and as everyone knows "TetsuWan Atomu" debuted in Japan on New Year's Day, (Jan. 1st) 1963.

[BTW, the English title for the Jap. episode "Frankenstein" is "Colosso"]

I :heart: :astro: :)
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 11 years ago

Oh my god, if I had the money I'd snap that up in a heartbeat.

At conventions I occasionally see animation cells from the 60s anime broadcast and they are always in the 2k price range. The animation cells that I manage to find from the 80s broadcast are more manageable it seems usually only in the 500s.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

"ASTROBUDDY" wrote:I am sorry, but your recollection of missing the first episode of Astro Boy because of Rosh Hashanah cannot be correct, at least by what is known as the official premiere date of Astro Boy in NYC.
According to Schodt and Ladd in their books about Astro Boy, the show premiered in NYC on what was then WNEW on Saturday, Sept. 7, 1963. According to the 1963 calendar, the first night of Rosh Hashanah fell on Wed. Sept. 18, 1963. Since Astro Boy aired at 7:00pm on Saturdays, there is no way it could have fallen on Rosh Hashanah in 1963. I am sorry, but these are easily verifiable facts. Although it would have been nice if it had fallen on Rosh Hashanah because that is the Jewish New Year and as everyone knows "TetsuWan Atomu" debuted in Japan on New Year's Day, (Jan. 1st) 1963. [BTW, the English title for the Jap. episode "Frankenstein" is "Colosso"]
I :heart: :astro: :)

You might be right about that, my memory is a bit hazy and I might have missed the first episode because of another reason. Come to think about it, it might have been the first episode of the 'Jetsons' that fell out on the holidays. And yes Colosso was the very first episode of Astroboy that I did see.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

Confabulation is more common than we would like to believe. About the film itself, I have been watching a program about Hollywood treasures (I think on the SCIFI channel), & am under the impression that a film that old may be brittle. Regardless, I think serious collectors might pay that much. Wasn't there a post about a W3 episode on film, a few years ago? :santa:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”