Astro Boy Head Canon

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

I've got waaay too much, but I'll share part of it here.... :rolleyes:

Ready?

Like Tetsuwan Penguin, I first saw Astro in the 1960’s, and I understood the story to take place in New York City. So, first of all, Astro is American.

Astor Boynton III is a descendent of John Jacob Astor (the wealthy American industrialist who perished on the Titanic). Part of the Astor family fortune is what built the Institute of Science, which is situated in mid-town Manhattan.

Dr. Boynton’s wife, Sarah was a scientist and astronaut who perished on a space shuttle mission when Astor was 5 years old. The family has a condo in the city, and a large, modern home in Scarsdale (a wealthy suburb about ½ hour out of New York in Westchester County).

Astor is a student at Dalton (an exclusive private school), and his best friend, Nicholas Watkins, are both 12 years old, at the top of their class, very geeky, but also NOT “angels.” The two tend to have way too much time on their hands, unsupervised, and they get into all kinds of mischief. Nick’s parents are both employed by the IOS, and when Astor dies in the car crash (Nick was supposed to be with him that day), they quickly move away to California to give their grieving son a “new start.”

About 10 ½ years after he was created, Astro awoke one morning to find his voice had suddenly changed, and his legs were both approximately 2 inches longer. Dr. Elefun, upon examining him – and a call to the secluded Dr. Boynton confirmed that, indeed, Astro’s “growth programming” had finally kicked in (about 8 years late!). Dr. Boynton and Elefun worked together to fabricate an adult body for Astro. One of the advancements is his new AI, which exists in living brain cells that were cloned from Astor.

Astro is reunited with Nick when they are both selected for a mission to Venus. Over the next year they become close friends – although very different in temperament. Drone exploration reveals that there is, in fact, a tiny pocket of life on Venus. This trip is a major turning point in Astro’s life.

So basically, you envisioned Astor/Tobio as movie Tobio...somewhat.

Either way, your head canons are really interesting April. You can definitely tell that you've put a lot of time and effort into these.
Last edited by Prettywitchiusaka on Tue May 07, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

... O.O
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

April7 you have a good story idea there. Why don't you stop being a wall flower on ff.net and write something there? BTW. I am thinking of a story idea with Atom on the ISS.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Tue May 07, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:I've got waaay too much, but I'll share part of it here.... :rolleyes:

Ready?

Like Tetsuwan Penguin, I first saw Astro in the 1960’s, and I understood the story to take place in New York City. So, first of all, Astro is American.

Astor Boynton III is a descendent of John Jacob Astor (the wealthy American industrialist who perished on the Titanic). Part of the Astor family fortune is what built the Institute of Science, which is situated in mid-town Manhattan.

Dr. Boynton’s wife, Sarah was a scientist and astronaut who perished on a space shuttle mission when Astor was 5 years old. The family has a condo in the city, and a large, modern home in Scarsdale (a wealthy suburb about ½ hour out of New York in Westchester County).

Astor is a student at Dalton (an exclusive private school), and his best friend, Nicholas Watkins, are both 12 years old, at the top of their class, very geeky, but also NOT “angels.” The two tend to have way too much time on their hands, unsupervised, and they get into all kinds of mischief. Nick’s parents are both employed by the IOS, and when Astor dies in the car crash (Nick was supposed to be with him that day), they quickly move away to California to give their grieving son a “new start.”

About 10 ½ years after he was created, Astro awoke one morning to find his voice had suddenly changed, and his legs were both approximately 2 inches longer. Dr. Elefun, upon examining him – and a call to the secluded Dr. Boynton confirmed that, indeed, Astro’s “growth programming” had finally kicked in (about 8 years late!). Dr. Boynton and Elefun worked together to fabricate an adult body for Astro. One of the advancements is his new AI, which exists in living brain cells that were cloned from Astor.

Astro is reunited with Nick when they are both selected for a mission to Venus. Over the next year they become close friends – although very different in temperament. Drone exploration reveals that there is, in fact, a tiny pocket of life on Venus. This trip is a major turning point in Astro’s life.

So basically, you envisioned Astor/Tobio as movie Tobio...somewhat.

Either way, your head canons are really interesting April. You can definitely tell that you've put a lot of time and effort into these.

So basically, you view Astor/Tobio as movie Tobio...somewhat.

Either way, your head canons are really interesting, April. You can tell that you put a lot of time, and effort into these.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

So basically, you view Astor/Tobio as movie Tobio...somewhat.

Yeah, I'd say that's at least somewhat true. But I see Nick and Astor as two lovable scoundrels - you know, the kind of boys that are a bit :d evil: but not to the point that people hate them. Toby in the movie was kind of obnoxious; Astor Boynton III is very charming and funny -- but he and Nick will steal a couple of cigars from Dr. Boynton's humidor and go out into the woods and smoke them.

I am thinking of a story idea with Atom on the ISS.

That sounds like a GREAT idea!! Do it! :w00t: And I have been thinking of writing up my version of Astro's life . . . but I kind of don't know where to start . . . I've got a lot more detail I didn't post here, and I think it might work best if the earlier part of the story was a flashback.

Thanks for the kind words, though. Yeah, I've been writing this in my heart and mind since . . . oh, about 1964! Talk about fangirl devotion! ;) :astro: :wub:

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

I was just thinking about the ISS idea while sitting on the crapper. I had a totally awesome story line suddenly form in my head and it all fit together so perfectly with the real thing. The guys at spacex will love it too!
Thought of the perfect story title "Dragon Rider".
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Tue May 07, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

My home page

AprilSeven
Silent Song

DRAGON RIDER?! You do know we have a forum member by that name, right? I'm sure he'll feel very honored!!!

I'll tell ya, between you, Dragonpawclaws and Dannavy, I feel like I'm in fanfic heaven! I think the spirit of Dr. T. is inspiring all of us. :tezuka: :heart:

What I find most amazing is that Astro can fit so well into so many different scenarios. He's like the ultimate multi-dimensional super hero. And because Tezuka changed up his origin story so many times, he almost encourages us to "think outside the box." :D

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

That's the name of spacex's space craft.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Atom IN SPACE. X3
lolwut

SuwaHana
Metro City Citizen

Postby SuwaHana » 11 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:... "Leg-tapping thing"? I haven't read most of the manga, so I have no idea what this is about. But it wouldn't quite make sense for him to imitate any of Tobio's behaviors, since he did not know Tobio when he was alive (obviously), and he wasn't programmed with his memories in this version (how that would even be possible, though, is a whole other can of worms).

Basically, Atom kept asking Tenma and Hoshie how he could be more like Tobio to make them happier (poor Atom, so desperate to be human!). Hoshie told him that Tobio had a habit of tapping his foot unconsciously while sitting, among other things, so Atom frequently imitated the behavior to make her feel more comfortable around him. It's not programmed, it's completely conscious.
inb4 I managed to screw up quoting.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”