New Astro Boy series could be on the way!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

New Astro Boy series could be on the way!

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

So, I was surfing ANN when I got home from work, and came across this little article of interest;

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-12/tezuka-pro-in-talks-to-create-local-versions-of-astro-boy-around-the-world

So, is this exciting, or what? Granted, I'm not sure if they should rush into doing several different version of Astro Boy all at once. But hey, if Tezuka Productions is interested in making a new Astro Boy anime, I'm down for that.

Heck, I'd be excited to see what American writers and producers would be interested in doing with Astro Boy. Play our cards right, and we might finally get the Genndy Tartakovsky version of Astro Boy!

So what you guys think of this?
Last edited by AprilSeven on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

That is awesome! That's a really interesting way to go about things. It would be interesting to see different international takes on the Mighty Atom, too.
lolwut

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

It's unclear, but it sounds like these wouldn't be anime, but rather cartoons made by a bunch of different countries, with Tezuka Productions providing some animation assistance. If that's the case, these could range from okay to horrible.
I'm on Twitter.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

"F-Man" wrote:It's unclear, but it sounds like these wouldn't be anime, but rather cartoons made by a bunch of different countries, with Tezuka Productions providing some animation assistance. If that's the case, these could range from okay to horrible.

True. But personally, I prefer to be cautiously optimistic about this kind of project.

I can't really speak for everywhere else, but I do know that there a lot of talented artists and writers in the American animation industry. So if Astro got into the right hands, this could be totally worthwhile. I've already mentioned Genndy Tartakovsky, but suppose we had an Astro Boy series headed by Paul Dini or even Craig McCracken? That would be totally awesome! I mean yeah, they'd have to abide by FCC regulations, but I've always been of the opinion that you could get away with more mature content in a kids show, provided you have the right writer.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Still exciting to see, though. American animation isn't always that bad (provided it's hand-drawn, frame-by-frame animation, that is, IMO). I can't really speak for other nations, though; but it'll be exciting to see what different animators and cultures can do with the franchise. And if something terrible does come down the pipeline, then we can all have fun debating it's quality, it's highs and lows, and occasionally making fun of it. :lol: Provided it's inexcusably sh*tty, of course.

Edit: Oi, you beat me to all the points I was trying to make!
ALSO, I just remembered who Genndy Tartakovsky is. XD
lolwut

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:Still exciting to see, though. American animation isn't always that bad (provided it's hand-drawn, frame-by-frame animation, that is, IMO). I can't really speak for other nations, though; but it'll be exciting to see what different animators and cultures can do with the franchise. And if something terrible does come down the pipeline, then we can all have fun debating it's quality, it's highs and lows, and occasionally making fun of it. :lol: Provided it's inexcusably sh*tty, of course.

Yeah, or if its good, we can just poke fun at something we like/love.

Crazy_Red
Metro City Citizen

Postby Crazy_Red » 11 years ago

It’s a little vague on what Tezuka Production is going to do with this concept. I could see this as a bunch of Astro Boy shorts done by international studios rather than a new series.

I guess we have to wait and see how this pans out. Hopefully we’ll get some entertaining shorts out of this.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 11 years ago

As long as they get writers who are actually GOOD I'll be fine with it.

Play our cards right, and we might finally get the Genndy Tartakovsky version of Astro Boy

Yes.
Just yes.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

We could get any number of things! If some of them do turn out to be shorts, they would probably have better quality than a series. Maybe we'll get another feature-length film out of the deal? A good one this time? Not that Imagi's film was terrible; the animation was pretty good, even if some of the design choices were uninteresting; for the most part, the film suffered from bad writing and occasionally lukewarm acting on the part of some of the actors (especially Cage).

I haven't actually seen a lot of Dexter's Laboratory, as I did not have very much access to satellite/cable when I was younger. I'm also pretty sure that when it first came out, being three, I couldn't care less.
lolwut

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

First i was really excited but then i was like what the hell is this ???? :confused:

Now i'm starting to see the picture i'd had rather seen a release of the actual 63 anime at least the episodes that aren't dubbed but this stuff might be building up some hype for nothing as it could turn out
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”