Has this ever happened to you?

Off topic discussion.
snorkyller
Metro City Citizen

Postby snorkyller » 20 years ago

Originally posted by fafner+Jun 3 2004, 05:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fafner @ Jun 3 2004, 05:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
[i]Originally posted by Louis'74@Jun 2 2004, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about those paralyses while waiting for sleep. They only seem to appear in stress situations.

I'm not really afraid of anything in particular, but when it happens it is not exactly pleasant if you see what I mean ;) I'm afraid of it the same way when I am waiting my turn at the dentist, when it could happen at any moment :wacko:
About the stress situation, I wonder how I could be stressed during a 4-days week-end! Why not monday or tuesday of a normal week? :D [/b]

Strange sleep events like those "sleep paralyses" doesn't occurs only in simple stress situation (I mean stress of everyday)... Sometimes you wonder why it occured 'cause you didn't feeling stressed at the moment and in the previous days. It was my case... But there are things only subconscious feels. Conscious didn't feels it. So you didn't "feel" it consciously but it affecting you anyway... I'm not saying you're affected by something... I just explain something which could happens.

Something Louis'74 wrote his really interresting:
<!--QuoteBegin--Louis'74[/i]

More of it: everyone gets during sleep in this state, namely in the phase of dreaming.
The paralysis is supposed to prevent the movements we're making during a dream, so we can't hurt ourselves or the one who lies beside us.
During the awakening it's coming to synchronisation-problems. The impression to stuck somewhere between to be awake and to be dreaming in fact isn't that wrong. While the conciousness itself is moving towards awake, yet the body is not nearly as ready and still stays properly tied-down.
[/quote]

Awakening while in the REM sleep phase (phase of dreaming) is abnormal. I don't say it's a problem, I just say it's not "supposed" to happens in a good sleep. Sometimes, in a night, we can have a disturbed sleep achitecture. Then, you may not have any deep sleep, you may awake often, etc.... and you may awake while in REM sleep. I think it's logical...

But why could we get bad sleep architecture? Because of things like stress but I think it could be also because of the state of the subconscious too. When you're sleeping, subconscious is very active, at the opposite of the conscious (since you're sleeping).

Sometimes, there are situations which you don't like but you accept it 'cause you feel that you don't have the choice too. Example: Your boss get you really stressed but you can't do nothing 'cause it's your boss. By the days, you're becoming accustomed to these situations then it's as if it disappeared and there's no problem at all. But it's not really right: you're subconscious continue to be hurted by this situation... Since subconscious is active when you sleep, it can affect your sleep ; you may not even feel it. You become more tired ; it's like an alarm triggered by the subconscious to tell you that something is wrong but you're ignoring it. If you continue to ignore it, many other things may happens...

Many doctors explained me that in that moment, an hormone called "cortisol" is much more secreted which cause the adrenaline (or epinephrine) to be more and more released. They told me that this state can cause many symptoms and problem which make the body "imbalanced"... That happened to me. I don't know why ; I don't know the 'cause but I don't get any deep sleep since that time.

When strange things like "sleep paralyses" happens, I think it may be a good idea to think about "how you live"....

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 20 years ago

I get paralysed in my dreams. Like I dream that I try to walk but I just fall over and can't move. I think it's because my legs are so weak in real life that I end up dreaming about it. :(

dragon_child888
Metro City Citizen

Postby dragon_child888 » 20 years ago

Hope im not buting in or anything and i dont know if this is unusual but in the middle of the night i some times sleep walk and do crazy or just plain wierd things that i have no memory of the next morning. Example: one night i had goten up from bed (downstairs) walked up two sets of stairs and gone into the loungeroom avoding all our furniture. i walked up to my mum and asked her to come downstairs with me. (this whole time i was asleep) now heres somethig wierd (i think) this whole time i actualy had my eyes open even though i was asleep, anyway, so i took her back downstairs and i got into bed i then told her to do the fairy thing (WDF???) and she was asking me what it was and i was just repeating that. anyway the 'fairy thing' had something to do with my diary which has pics of fairies on it. anyway, i stoped telling her to do the fairy thing and said this: "never mind, we are all going to die anyway." and with that my mum left and i layed back down and went back to sleeping. :wacko:

yes....and is it just me or can other people do this too: i can defocus my eyes. everything goes fuzzy. i am yet to meet anybody else that can do this. :wacko:

and something else, i have a constant beeeeep going on in my ear. :wacko: sombody once told me it was tinitis or something... :huh:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 20 years ago

Originally posted by dragon_child888+Jun 8 2004, 12:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dragon_child888 @ Jun 8 2004, 12:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>yes....and is it just me or can other people do this too: i can defocus my eyes. everything goes fuzzy. i am yet to meet anybody else that can do this. :wacko:
[/b]

What do you mean by "defocusing"? Do you mean focus as the optical meaning? Or you can look in 2 different directions like chameleons? :o

<!--QuoteBegin--dragon_child888
@Jun 8 2004, 12:05 PM

and something else, i have a constant beeeeep going on in my ear. :wacko: sombody once told me it was tinitis or something... :huh:
[/quote]
I have something like this, but I don't hear a beep, it's more like ssshhhhh ( sorry, I'm out of vocabulary here :D ). I think the French word for that is "accouphène", sorry, I didn't found the word in any dictionnary, I don't have any English/French medical dictionnary :P Usually it is caused by listening music too loud with a headset, but it is not my case as I almost never use such things ( in fact I hate them :angry: ).
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

dragon_child888
Metro City Citizen

Originally posted by fafner+Jun 9 2004, 02:23 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fafner @ Jun 9 2004, 02:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -dragon_child888@Jun 8 2004, 12:05 PM
yes....and is it just me or can other people do this too: i can defocus my eyes. everything goes fuzzy. i am yet to meet anybody else that can do this.  :wacko:

What do you mean by "defocusing"? Do you mean focus as the optical meaning? Or you can look in 2 different directions like chameleons? :o

@Jun 8 2004, 12:05 PM

and something else, i have a constant beeeeep going on in my ear.  :wacko: sombody once told me it was tinitis or something...  :huh:

I have something like this, but I don't hear a beep, it's more like ssshhhhh ( sorry, I'm out of vocabulary here :D ). I think the French word for that is "accouphène", sorry, I didn't found the word in any dictionnary, I don't have any English/French medical dictionnary :P Usually it is caused by listening music too loud with a headset, but it is not my case as I almost never use such things ( in fact I hate them :angry: ). [/b][/quote]
What i mean is that at any time, anywhere i can just make my view go fuzzy. everythings all blurry and i can make my eyes do that at any time i want. its paryticuarily useful when sombody is angry at u and they tell u to look at them! :) i just make them go fuzzy and i just look like im looking at them.

hmmm.....wel, ive had accouphène/tinitis even since i can remember and it realy ticks me of coz i can never have complete silence. U try being angry and anoid and having a constant been in your head! :D :P

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 20 years ago

Originally posted by dragon_child888+Jun 8 2004, 11:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dragon_child888 @ Jun 8 2004, 11:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>What i mean is that at any time, anywhere i can just make my view go fuzzy. everythings all blurry and i can make my eyes do that at any time i want. its paryticuarily useful when sombody is angry at u and they tell u to look at them! :) i just make them go fuzzy and i just look like im looking at them.[/b]

So, you have found someone able to do this :D But I didn't see this as a particular ability, for me it's just like relaxing the eyes, in fact when I want to focus again I sometime run into troubles not being able to focus again :P (that's when I am tired)

@Jun 8 2004, 11:31 PM
hmmm.....wel, ive had accouphène/tinitis even since i can remember and it realy ticks me of coz i can never have complete silence. U try being angry and anoid and having a constant been in your head! :D :P [/quote]

I think I have always lived with that, I'm not sure because I didn't really noticed it until a few years ago. I know I had this long before I realized it because I had noticed the sound, but I thought it was the sound of the blood flooding through the tympanum (although the sound is continuous unlike the flood of the blood). I was young when I thought that, I could believe anything :P
But I am still amazed I can hear slight sounds that nobody else can hear :unsure: I can hear the phone rining in another room, even when there is noise in the room where I am (although there must not be too much noise), other members of my family usually don't hear it. This heap of junk has a very low sound and the intensity of the sound can't be changed :angry:
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

snorkyller
Metro City Citizen

Postby snorkyller » 20 years ago

When I was young (from 5 to 13), I was often "sleep walking" (often when I was sick). dragon_child888 , you mentioned something pretty strange in sleep walking : your eyes are opened but you don't consciously see.

There are other strange things:
- You're unconscious but you can walk from a room to another, opening/closing doors, with any problem.
- You can even see things or people around you and used/'talk to' them...

But the more strange thing is that while you sleep walk, you feel that you're sleeping just as usual ; no difference! Then you wake up and see that you're not in your bed. I felt also strange to wake up with the eye opened. People was often wondering what I was doing and feeling... I always answered : "I was just sleeping!"

Doing so much things unconsciouly proves the power of the subconscious when you sleep. I was talking previously about the fact that subconscious is very active in the night. So it's also powerfull.

So I think that "sleep paralyses" can also come from the subconsious activity. If you don't want to sleep walk or to have sleep paralyses (or other strange sleep event), you'll have to control your subconsious. :lol: ;) It's surely possible indirectly (like changing what happens when you're consious: change things in your life). But it's surely also difficult... !!!

dragon_child888
Metro City Citizen

controll your mind you must if ever you want to become true jedi. :p h34r:

Return to “General Discussion”