Doom the movie

Off topic discussion.
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

I remember installing a few 3rd party shareware (or were they freeware?) patches onto the Doom engine.

1 made a particular type of enemy into Pac man. :lol:

another made a similar enemy into Barney complete with his song. :D :D
I am not sure if Barney was the 'Boss.'

Then, there was the Aliens patch.

Then, there was the game editor. I never had enough patience to build my own game, but I had fun modifying the ones that came from id software. :P

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

Postby cybotron » 19 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@May 25 2005, 02:25 AM
I remember installing a few 3rd party shareware (or were they freeware?) patches onto the Doom engine.

1 made a particular type of enemy into Pac man. :lol:

another made a similar enemy into Barney complete with his song. :D :D
I am not sure if Barney was the 'Boss.'

Then, there was the Aliens patch.

Then, there was the game editor. I never had enough patience to build my own game, but I had fun modifying the ones that came from id software. :P

Hey Jeffbert are you still able to play doom and doom 2 custom wads?
I have one I designed you might find fun... :D
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

I have not played any such games for several years. The After Wolfenstein types were replaced by Doom types, the mouse was insufficient, so I began using a joy stick with programmable buttons. But even that was awkward, it just would not allow the quick movements required. Nevertheless, I played Doom, Doom 2, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior (I think that was its name), & Dark Forces (Never could get out of that prison to fight B. Fett :cry: ). Hah, that was back in the bad ol' days of DOS 6, i486, & 640 barriers! I have not played any games since Pentium I.

I use a trackball now, & it has several programmable buttons on it; but I do not want to get back into that type of game again. These days, I play chess on Fritz (rarely, though), but spend most time watching anime, listening to G. Gordon Liddy, or working on my web site, which I hope to have up by early June.
:lol:

Thanks for offering, though. :D

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Originally posted by cybotron@May 25 2005, 04:25 PM

I can play WAD files (I used to make Doom maps and mapping tutorials). You can e-mail it to me if you like. :)

I'm mapping with Half-Life 2 at the moment. I'm doing a conversion of Total Eclipse, a very early 3D game (1989 I believe).

Regarding the Doom movie, why is the main character called Sarge? Did they just rip the name straight from Quake 3?

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

Originally posted by DrFrag+May 26 2005, 04:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrFrag @ May 26 2005, 04:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--cybotron@May 25 2005, 04:25 PM

I can play WAD files (I used to make Doom maps and mapping tutorials). You can e-mail it to me if you like. :)

I'm mapping with Half-Life 2 at the moment. I'm doing a conversion of Total Eclipse, a very early 3D game (1989 I believe).

Regarding the Doom movie, why is the main character called Sarge? Did they just rip the name straight from Quake 3?[/b][/quote]

Here is the Wad file let me know how you like it.... :) just right clik and select save target as...
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

New stills! :wahah:

THE BFG..... :lol:
Comicon report....
Comic-Con 2005: Doom Panel
Video and impressions from the IGN-moderated event. FPS footage revealed, plus: hear from The Rock, Karl Urban and more!

July 18, 2005 - The first footage ever revealed of the Doom movie was shown Sunday at the San Diego Comic-Con to rousing applause. After a panel spoke about the making of the film, the teaser trailer and the first ever revelation of the first-person shooter segment of the movie was played, and the crowd went wild.

The panel featured id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead, stars Karl Urban (Lord of the Rings) and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (The Rundown), and producers John Wells and Lorenzo di Bonaventura. To see highlights, check out the video of the Doom panel here. The guests discuss the rigors of filming, how they kept true to the original, and just what was going on between Urban and The Rock on-set.

The first look at the trailer played to a great reception. Showcasing the shadowy corridors taken directly from levels of the game, the trailer portrays a gritty, action-packed movie teeming with gore. Starting with a shot of Mars in space (and allaying any fears that it would be set anywhere else), this first look at the film delivers limited back story—a trained team of elite soldiers set to put down an uprising of genetic mutations on a Martian research facility—before launching into the splatter.

Several monsters, designed by Stan Winston studios, are showcased in the teaser, and viewers are also introduced to some of the cool weaponry the film has to offer. The trailer does not shy away from the gore and intensity that make this a true-to-the-game R-rated affair.

After the trailer played, the audience was treated to a special clip of the FPS sequence in the film, which is the first time a motion picture has done this effect correctly (films like House of the Dead have tried).

This sequence begins with Grimm (Urban) looking at the mirror and splashing water on his face. He then raises his gun, angles it across the screen, and loads a clip, just like in the game. This simple action delivered an enormous reaction from the crowd of over 6,000 at the Con.

Once the clip is loaded, Grimm moves down the hallways and begins to take on his foes, all of which are patterned perfectly after their in-game counterparts. All of the FPS tricks are here: he shoots barrels to take down some monsters, unloads clips into others. One sequence has him shooting a chainsaw out of a mutant's hands; in another, he shoots a hatchet in half, and it falls into the creature's head. There is a rifle-butt slam to the face, a knockdown, and even a false alarm, as Grimm shoots his own reflection. But perhaps the coolest moment comes when Grimm rounds the corner and takes out an enemy with one pistol shot to the head. It explodes into a bloody syrup of brain and skull, much to the delight of the Comic-Con audience.

Judging by the thunderous response to the footage, this is FPS done right. Not only does it capture the spirit of the game, it actually seems to work in the context of the film. One thing is for certain: when the clip ended, no one wanted it to.

We'll have more details on the Doom film in the coming weeks, including an exclusive trailer. Keep your eyes focused on IGN FilmForce for more bloody news and clips.

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

DOOM THE MOVIE TEASER TRAILER!!!!! Is here...

Doom teaser trailer online.... Image
:wahah:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Probably worth mentioning you have to pay a registration fee to IGN before downloading...

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

I didn't know they wanted a fee. But you can watch it for free at this link. :unsure:

tinlunlau
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby tinlunlau » 19 years ago

no doubt about it, it's gonig to suck.
the director of this movie has never made a good movie.

Cradle 2 The Grave sucked, Romeo Must Die was half decent but i've seen better...
let's just cross our fingers that it won't integrate kung fu with hip hop music.

Return to “General Discussion”