WINDOWS 10 problems-- why I hate W10! (so far)

Off topic discussion.
DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Re: WINDOWS 10 problems-- why I hate W10! (so far)

Postby DrFrag » 7 months ago

Are you still getting screen blackout problems?

I would try to isolate the problem first. Maybe borrow a screen and cable if you can, because a bad screen won't be fixed by replacing the rest of the PC or video card.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 7 months ago

I doubt it is the monitor because when I reboot, it works fine. Moreover, when I have the DVD player and any other thing with video on it, that is when it usually (perhaps only when) it occurs

So, my new MS browser is used for streaming video. It has the TV stream from cable provider, Netflix, of which video previews are always running, and CRUNCHYROLL, of which about 5 or six tabs are open.

I will try ("Do or do not; there is no try") to remember to close that browser when viewing DVDs.

Thanks for you input ("More input") DrFrag.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 7 months ago

I'm in the same struggle right now. My 11-year-old desktop PC has been getting a lot of bluescreens lately, all different error codes so maybe a RAM fault. Sometimes the graphics on one side glitches out, and just a few minutes ago it froze up with a screen full of grey patterns, so maybe a video card fault. It only happens at the start of the day in cold weather, so maybe it's bad component seating or cracked solder.

Anyway I've bitten the bullet and bought a new PC (primarily to get a newer OS) but I've been slack getting it set up because my old PC is configured just how I like it, and most of the time it works okay. I really should work on the new one tonight so I can get everything migrated over.

Good luck to us both! :D

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 7 months ago

If your PC is totally 10 years old, you would probably be better buying a new one. If you have changed a few parts during this time, you may go after obsolete parts only. From what you just said, I think your might have insufficient RAM (but don't just go and buy RAM just on that assumption).

And DrFrag... it awfully smells like bad RAM indeed. There are tools that you can run to check that (if you are curious, since you already bought a new PC).
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Return to “General Discussion”