Simple Japanese 101

Off topic discussion.
Haruka-chan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Haruka-chan » 20 years ago

Well so i didn't flood the captions thread with this i'll put it here ^_^

jeffbert: There most certainly is a 'te' ^_^ Are you learning hirigana and katakana as well or just the romanisations of those (ie speaking only).

hmmmm if you do a search on the internet i'm sure you can find a character chart of all hirigana used in Japanese (hence you will know all the 'letters' ;) . I forgot the proper word for it but Japanese is not really made up of letters, there is a i u e o and n, but the rest are a consonant followed by a vowel forming one 'letter' or character in hirigana. Eg:

ka ki ku ke ko, sa shi su se so, ta chi tsu te to (yes slightly confusing t lot), na ni nu ne no, ha hi fu he ho, ma mi mu me mo, ya yu yo, ra ri ru re ro, wa, wo

Now japanese also has a thing called a tenten with are two little not quite vertical lines above and to the right of a character. With these added to the corresponding above characters you get these new sounds:

ga gi gu ge go, za ji zu ze zo, da - - de do, (nothing for n's), ba bi bu be bo.... and i think that's all the new combinations you can get from tenten although IIRC you can make va from wa :S but it's very rarely used (only for katakana which is for forigen words even then they normally use bi or be etc for V sounds).

There is one more character that can be added (in location of a tenten, they can't both be added). Just my luck that i forgot the name of it >_< anyway it looks like a little circle. It adds a p sound:

ha -> pa, fu -> pu, he -> pe, ho -> po

Now the final lesson in Haruka-chan's extremely basic Japanese. There is one other way to combine characters to form new sounds. You may have noticed that there is no pi or di sound for example from what i have said already. That is true in that there is no single character for that sound. Other sounds that appear are cho, chu, cha and sho, shu, sha. Which can also be romanisied as chyo/chiyo (etc) and shyo/shiyo. Maybe you see where these sounds are coming from now ^_^

To form these other sounds you have the main character followed by a visibly reduced smaller character for the second part of the sound eg cho/ chi(yo)
CHIyo

As for pi and di: Pu(i) and De(i)

Now i've left la to last ^^ L sounds is apparently hard for Japanese to pronounce (yes i know i hear it as la when they talk too). They seem to roll the r in a funny way so it actually sounds like an L. However some Japanese actors/actresses/seiyuu (voice actors/actresses) are very good at pronouncing normally difficult sounds L, W, V, 'the'. So when a song as La La La in it, yes it is La La La but how it is written and often said is Ra Ra Ra.

Although as i said before L and R are interchangeable. It is generally said that the character for Ra is written as Ra to avoid confusion. But in writing of English words by Japanese and translation of Japanese words (usually katakana) the R and the L can be interchanged depening on what is meant. Eg, Tezuka's character Lamp is written in katakana using RA however because the name is obviously Lamp and not Ramp an L is used.

A funny point when Japanese use signs for elections that happen to use the English word 'eLection'. They are sometimes confused and use an R when it should be L :P :lol:
Kimi no kokoro de, catch the future!
[url=\'http://www.suanime.org\']SUAnime[/url]

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

I know about hirigana and katakana & the romanisations of those. There is a chart in both Mangajin's basic japanese through comics and Learn Japanese now a program that has a guy pronouncing all the sounds on the chart as I click them. But I never heard or saw any 'te' sound.

About Ls and Rs, I have seen Jungle King Leo (movie) and am now watching Leo the Lion. Jungle king calls the cubs Lune (lou- nay) and Lukio, and thatv goes for both the Japanese audio and the subtitles. However, the series aduio calls them Roonie and Roo-ki.

Thanks for the detail of your post, but I am very busy and a whole week behind in my studies. I will look again at your message, but later.

Were you the one wanting color pics of manga Atom in school uniform? I have a color pic of a toy Atom in that uniform.

Haruka-chan
Rocket Ball Champion

Hmmm for Leo i'm sure it is meant to be R... i remember looking at a lot of material when it was around on Tezuka World site. I'd have to look it all up again tho. L is usually only used for English words or la la la for example. But i've no doubt it has an L sound to it...even when listening hard a lot of R's come off as L's to me even though i've heard that it is supposedly hard for Japanese to make a full L sound :wacko:

Yes i was the one wanting to colour Atom school uniform ^^ I'm wondering what toy it is you have seen.. i have seen the SEGA keychain released with the new series and have an older pic lying around that has a larger toy in it which i gather is meant to be wearing that uniform. Both using slightly different colours although i suspect the SEGA keychain is quite accurate i still wish i could have more Japanese release of the manga that had the colour couple of pages at the beginning

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 20 years ago

That is so interesting. Do you know of any good web sites with all the character pictures and their romanisations and what they sound like?

Regarding the L and R issue, English speaking people often have trouble pronouncing words that begin with "ng". It's at the end of a lot of words, like "bang", "wrong", and many "-ing" verbs, but there aren't any words that start with "ng" in English. In dialects of Australian Aboriginal, there are words starting with "ng" like ngana and stuff like that. I have trouble pronouncing them. There are also Asian names like "Ng" and "Nguen" that give me real problems! :wacko:

When I translated the title of Astroboy episode 35, Babelfish came out with "Atlas vs. Lock". I knew straight away from the pictures that it should have been "Atlas vs. Rock", and now I know why. :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

I know nothing about these, but here they are:

You will need to zoom in and perhaps use an editor to brighten it to see any details. I found this on Yahoo's version of eBay.

Haruka-chan
Rocket Ball Champion

Ah thanks ^_^ i've seen all those toys before but in a different picture. Anyway i'll add ti to my collection. Arigatou

Return to “General Discussion”