The Phoenix..

Off topic discussion.
EvilGenki
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby EvilGenki » 20 years ago

All of you guys probably heard of this already, but I'm going to make a topic anyway. There is a new anime based off of The Phoenix manga. This site basically sums up the manga..and I actually saw the manga for sale at a comic shop..I did'nt get the chance to buy it and now its gone.
The site for the anime is found here., but its in Japanese..I really want to see this. Considering how great the Astroboy animation is..this series should be just as great.

Haruka-chan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Haruka-chan » 20 years ago

Wow a new anime version.

Has anyone seen the movies? I'd love to get my hands on them. as for the manga it's for sale in Kinokuniya but after i finish buying Atom manga (up to getting #17) I'm going to get Lost World and Next World (Dark Horse haven't released Future World have they :huh: ) and then Metropolis and THEN Phoenix ^^;;;
Kimi no kokoro de, catch the future!
[url=\'http://www.suanime.org\']SUAnime[/url]

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

I have lost world next world, metropolis, & next world 2, and will sell all 4 via ebay. They are very lightweight, and even international shipping should not be too much. I will sell for 1/2 of retail price (bidding starts at). Let me know if you are interested, else I will not bother with it. :lol:

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

Why sell Lost World, Next World and Metropolis??? :(

Just read vol. 1 of Phoenix last night. Absolutely amazing; not just as an incredible entry by Tezuka but amazing for comics in general--almost reinventing the idea of what you can do with comics. I am not sure I can list in concrete and specific terms what makes this feel so innovative, but I felt like when I'd put it down I'd read a high watermark like Moore's Watchman or something. I've been digging all of Tezuka's writing, but this is something really magnificient. I haven't touched Buddha or Adolf yet, and now I am beginning to imagine just how great they must be.

As there any word on whether Viz is going to continue putting out the Phoenix volumes? I heard an internet rumor that they were stopping after volume 5.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

Originally posted by O2Destroyer@Oct 13 2004, 06:11 AM
Why sell Lost World, Next World and Metropolis??? :(

Just read vol. 1 of Phoenix last night. Absolutely amazing; not just as an incredible entry by Tezuka but amazing for comics in general--almost reinventing the idea of what you can do with comics. I am not sure I can list in concrete and specific terms what makes this feel so innovative, but I felt like when I'd put it down I'd read a high watermark like Moore's Watchman or something. I've been digging all of Tezuka's writing, but this is something really magnificient. I haven't touched Buddha or Adolf yet, and now I am beginning to imagine just how great they must be.

As there any word on whether Viz is going to continue putting out the Phoenix volumes? I heard an internet rumor that they were stopping after volume 5.

My whole world is a 9 by 8 room. Well, at laest most of my stuff is in that room, And I have not the luxury of keeping everything I ever owned. As it is, I have about 10 square feet of floor that is not covered by something. :P Although I liked those manga, my situation dictates out with the old or there will be no roon for the new.

Danny
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Danny » 19 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Oct 18 2004, 01:05 PM
My whole world is a 9 by 8 room. Well, at laest most of my stuff is in that room, And I have not the luxury of keeping everything I ever owned. As it is, I have about 10 square feet of floor that is not covered by something. :P Although I liked those manga, my situation dictates out with the old or there will be no roon for the new.

Thats why god invented house extentions. :)

I used to live in a 3.2m x 3.5m room.. but then dad put like an enclused verandah all the way along the back of the house with a door going into my room. Now I have an extra 2.4m x 4.3m to spread out into.

I am such a hoarder tho it took about 2 months to fill up and now I need MORE room.. :P
three and a half years.. for what?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Danny+Oct 17 2004, 11:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 17 2004, 11:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--jeffbert@Oct 18 2004, 01:05 PM

Thats why god invented house extentions. :)

I used to live in a 3.2m x 3.5m room.. but then dad put like an enclused verandah all the way along the back of the house with a door going into my room. Now I have an extra 2.4m x 4.3m to spread out into.

I am such a hoarder tho it took about 2 months to fill up and now I need MORE room.. :P [/b][/quote]
Aye, you are lucky. We used to live in a shoe box in the middle of the road!

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

None of which has anything to do with Phoenix :D (even though I asked the question)
Finished the four volumes over the weekend. Volume 2&4 were absolutely some of the best things I have ever read in comics; hard to imagine more people don't know about these books. Equally hard to imagine that Viz hasn't announced any plans to publish anything beyond volume 5. Time even wrote up an article about volume 4 since its clearly the art of comics at its very finest (and story telling at its finest too). Well, I guess volume 5 will be out in December and then I can just hope someone like Vertical decides to publish the rest (or Viz decides they want to finish the thing.)
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

tinlunlau
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby tinlunlau » 19 years ago

i saw fansubs of "The Phoenix" around the net a while ago..

EvilGenki
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby EvilGenki » 19 years ago

Has anyone seen the movies? I'd love to get my hands on them.

Revive Topic!!hehe. I JUST got a VHS of Phoenix 2772 for $4.95 canadian at a local used video store on Saturday. I was suprised on how much I liked it. After I watched it I read reviews and all of them say the movie was bad, but I enjoyed it though. The only problem I have with it is that the lip synching wasn't proper kinda like an old Godzilla movie(I like Godzilla though). I watched it with my friends and they even liked it. My one friend thought it was really well done for a Tezuka anime, and my friend doesn't even like most Tezuka stuff.

If anybody hasn't seen it, I suggest you see it.

Return to “General Discussion”