Referendum about smileys

Off topic discussion.
DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

I like the old version of that one better. The new one looks like a fish being stepped on. :eek:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

DrFrag wrote:I like the old version of that one better. The new one looks like a fish being stepped on. :eek:
That's why I like it! :D The old "surprised" smilie didn't look surprised at all to me. But we may be thinking of a different one?

Anyway, I won't cry if it leaves with the others. :p

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

The more I think about it, the more I like the old smilies. The only ones I really use now are :D :) (which I think are the best ones) and sometimes :eek: :cool: .

I miss the old sunglasses smiley, it was somehow cooler than the new blue one with the slanty mouth. The blue one looks like it has too much attitude.

The :eek: smiley doesn't fit a lot of wide-eyed expression situations, as the mouth is open. It looks more like "I'm scared!" than "I can't belive it!".

There used to be a smiley with a ~ mouth. That was good for conveying ambiguity and there really isn't an equivalent now.

There are two demon smileys that you see sometimes on other forums. One is frowning (angry sad) and one is smiling (playfully wicked). The current red angry :mad: doesn't convey either of these.

The new embarassed smiley doesn't look as good as the old one. It just looks like a purple smiley. The old one had an animated flush.

The new roll eyes smiley looks more whistful than "here we go again".

The three Tezuka smilies are great. Not real useful for conveying emotion, but very cool to have on this site. :)

Also, the new system has broken the smiley links on all the older posts.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 18 years ago

Hoping it won't put too much pressure on browsers and Internet connections, may I propose a small basic set?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Maybe some more:
Image Image Image Image Image

And don't forget the mandatory lightsaber :p
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Astro Forever
Administrator

I badly want this one as well: Image

I'd also replace the :) :rolleyes: :mad: :D :( by the old ones.

And being a blunderer, I'd find this one useful too: Image

Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 18 years ago

The old smiles used to be cool. I don't like the new ones such as :( :o . I like the others but my favorites are :D :astro: :hyo: :tenma: and a bit of :cool: . The confused smilie looks more sad than confused to me. :confused:
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

Astro Forever
Administrator

I hadn't realized that :o was supposed to be an embarrrassed smilie until DrFrag talked about it in his post... :rolleyes: I'd say this embarrassed smilie is embarrassing... :hyo:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I didn't know either until I hovered my mouse over it and it said "embarrassed".

fafner wrote:Hoping it won't put too much pressure on browsers and Internet connections, may I propose a small basic set?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Yeah, that's a great set. Although some of them aren't suited to this forum background, so I've changed the anti-aliasing:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Am I the only one whom those rough edges were bugging all these years, but not quite enough to mention it? :D

I'm not fussed about the others, although the lightsabre one would be nice considering some of the photoshopping that's been done here. :cool:

I badly want this one as well: Image

(and old versions of :) :rolleyes: :mad: :D :( which is too much hassle for me to quote properly)

Definately!
Last edited by DrFrag on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 18 years ago

drfrag wrote:Yeah, that's a great set. Although some of them aren't suited to this forum background, so I've changed the anti-aliasing:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I like these too. I also agree with Astro Forever about embarrassment, :hyo: .
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

Astro Forever
Administrator

DrFrag wrote:Am I the only one whom those rough edges were bugging all these years, but not quite enough to mention it? :D
:D

Return to “General Discussion”