Kimba box

Off topic discussion.
O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

Well my copy arrived yesterday. As I suspected, this is a dvd-r (very unrealistic to expect anything else, though I wish it was explicitly stated since not everyone wants to spend $20 on dvd-rs.) Once past this point however, the audio and video are about as good as we can possibly imagine. I haven't spent a lot of time with the set, but immediately noticed new footage and found the dialogue easy to understand (versus the commercially available versions which sound to bad that you can't tell what is being said.) Obviously a lovingly restored commercial version of this would be better, but for what one person can do, this is it! Assuming there isn't going to be a second kimba box from rightstuf/madman, this may well be your best bet.

When I have time to look into this set I might wright more, but these are my VERY early impressions, which are essentially all positive.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

This is now available from the same guy...

Season two is really growing on me despite the poorly acted dub (well, I would rather say the voice actors just aren't as talented, since they are clearly trying.) What really sells me though is the accuracy of the dub. As pointed out earlier, there are times with Kimba, where the CONTENT of the dub is so muddled that the plot becomes impossible to follow. Good subtitles would of course solve this problem, though it just seems that no one is going to bring over an older work like this unless there is nostalgia value or blue haired boys are throwing fireballs at each other.

And of course, once again, people are going to have problems that some guy is selling material that he does not own the rights to (or is he selling his services?) Does it ultimately matter? Not to me. I always hope that when someone does something like this, clearly pinpointing a need, that better, legit editions will follow suit (this kind of thing happens all the time in music with bootlegs actually forcing legit reissues.) In the meantime, I can see some old anime (that no one else seems to care about), that I could never have seen otherwise.

I should add, I've already seen substantial footage omitted from the crap 'legit' dvds, and a whole episode that was left out which actually ranks among one of the best I've seen of this series. So yeah, hats off to the guy burnin' the dvds...
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Ha! I own this thread!

Just finished the entire series of 'Leo the Lion' AKA onward Leo AKA Kimba season 2, whatever.

After that I felt compelled to watch the Jungle Emperor Leo (yeah, I had the day off with nothing to do.)

Needless to say, now that I've been with Kimba / Leo some 80 episodes + a movie, I'm feeling a bit depressed.

The TV series spares Leo and Lyre's life, but I'm not sure it makes for a better ending.

Eh, a worthy trip anyway. Will have to write something up about it soon, though still haven't seen any of the 'new adventures' series (which I hear is awful...)

Return to “General Discussion”