What really bugs you in a fandom?

Off topic discussion.
Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 11 years ago

Omg Remlits!!!! :heart:

I'm pretty partial to furries. Sometimes I like them, other times I don't. It really depends.
Would a fox who makes human expressions, walks upright and on all fours, and uses ships and other things be considered a furry?

I think my biggest problems with fandoms are the people who hate everyone who doesn't like what they like (sadly these people exist), "OCs" (which really should be called FCs as they're basically just fan characters anyway), and fan fiction in general. I've yet to find another fandom where people actually try to write good fan fiction while keeping the characters in character. That or the smaller fandoms I'm in just don't have many fan fictions in them at all, considering the fact that they were never that big in the first place. I was actually surprised to find the number of actually good Astro fanfics. There's still those nasty garbage ones I want to burn, but a lot of them are actually pretty good.
I also hate crack pairings or pairings that make no sense at all.

So yeah. There's my thoughts on fandoms.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Yes Remlits. :heart: I want to dress up as Mia. Maybe even have Day/Night variants. :p

That "Random Hand" in the Astro-Kitty picture is only bothersome if you think about it. Personally, I like to think that it was part of a larger picture. It is disturbing to think that the picture is only as is, in which case the hand is indeed a bit disturbing. Butyeah.

Omg OCs. I tend to shy away from fics that advertise the presence of OCs, or are OC-centric. Or just have too many OCs in general, unless they were introduced in that story, are interesting enough, and are reasonably important to the plot.

Oh, and PitchPearl shipping in the Danny Phantom fandom. I mean, seriously? (I do believe that this goes far above and beyond the "unreasonable/unlikely pairings" gripe. :d oh: )
lolwut

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Oh! Your icon changed. :p
Or you could try to make a plush of them. :heart: If you want to be Mia, you should have someone else dress up as Zelda so you could walk around with them.

I will not read a fan fiction if it has OCs or stupid pairings. Period.

What? Why would they ship that? I don't understand people. That's like MabelxRobbie from Gravity Falls. What is that??? Mabel only said one line about Robbie, and she called him a jerk in it. *shakes head in disapproval*

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Postby StargazerLili » 11 years ago

The things that bug me in a fandom ("fan dumb") can be summed up here:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanDumb
"Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder."

Come and see me at:http://liliopsida.deviantart.com/

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

I agree 100% with that article.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 11 years ago

I unfortunately have A LOT of "bugs" when it comes to my fandoms. I won't list them all but I'll just put up the ones that get to me the most;

People that make bad or uninteresting 'original characters' unknowingly and decide to spam you with them; I admit that I have several 'OCs' but I rarely ever am public with them except to a few very close friends because I know how much people really dislike 'OCs'.

People that anthropomorphize non-anthro characters; this used to be done as a joke, now there are people that are serious about this and go as far as to express these characters ONLY as anthros. This bothers me because... I'll admit it, I have a 'thing' against the image of furries. I can't stand them, I literally vomit when I see them. I saw a commercial the other day with a furry in it and had to run to my bathroom. The reason why this is is because I had a really bad experience with one of my 'friends' in a fur-suit who was really into furries. It's something I need to work on, but for now is just an involuntary reaction... :/

My final issue with fandoms are people that decide to make crack pairings that make no sense whatsoever, and once again spam it so much that the fans of the fandom somehow popularize it. One example of this is Blackjack and Kiriko - they obviously do not like each other, they can barely tolerate being in the same room with each other. Even so there are some fans that make excuses and try to grasp at very cliché 'evidence' to validate their pairing and refuse to accept that it makes no sense and they pair them together simply because there is no one else. It's one thing to admit it's crack and makes no sense and is only done for giggles, but there are some fans that are scary protective of pairings.

I guess I have issues with people that don't try to consider others in what they do, or are not honest about their reasons behind something (like admitting that a pairing makes no sense and they just like it because it is instead of ranting about non-existing 'evidence' until they get on a rage-case). I can't say much about the furry thing, because that's my thing that I can't control for the moment.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

Well, I hope I haven't turned too many people off with the stories I've written which actually have almost all OC's except for Atom (though a few of them were inspired by existing ones in the original). I did this because my intention was to make it possible for Atom to become real in a real word setting, something I've always daydreamed about. Imagine him getting a medal from the current US president or being honored by a tickertape parade. And in the background the original Manga and Anime exist to serve as a contrast of science fiction becoming fact. I would like to write some stories in the fictional world too, but I'll probably combine elements from all of the versions out there.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Tue May 28, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

I don't mind OCs (I've made them too) as long as they're tools to drive the story forward and aren't some wish fulfillment/Mary Sue/etc. When people get too attached to their characters, that's when it gets scary.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 11 years ago

Well, for me OCs are not at all bad and CAN indeed be interesting with proper writing, the catch is there are a lot of people that like to spam websites with their OCs with more or less "LOOK AT MY AWESOME ORGINAL CHARACTER LOOKLOOKLOOK!!!" signs. When this happens no one is really happy. That and many people just think that their OCs are better than they actually are and turn it into an obsession. I have an ex-friend that has obsessed over her OC so much that she has no other OCs, and pushes this OC into ALL her other fandoms, making him a chameleon of an OC. All her art, stories and blog posts have to do with this OC that really is not all that interesting to begin with. She has been doing this for about 7 years.

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

the catch is there are a lot of people that like to spam websites with their OCs with more or less "LOOK AT MY AWESOME ORGINAL CHARACTER LOOKLOOKLOOK!!!" signs. When this happens no one is really happy.

Ugh, agreed! A handful of pictures or stories I get, but when it's an entire gallery/thread/what have you it's a real pain.

It's almost as bad as people who pair themselves up with a cannon character, whether it's as themselves or through an OC. Those are disturbing.

Return to “General Discussion”