Hurricane Sandy Thread!

Off topic discussion.
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Back at work, and finally seeing some photos of the devastation. Let's keep Astrobuddy's friends in Breezy Point in our thoughts/prayers - a section of that community caught fire (from live power lines that were down) and apparently over 100 homes have burned as a result! :(

I brought in about 2 dozen water jugs to fill here. At least there is power nearby, if not at my house! :p
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 11 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Back at work, and finally seeing some photos of the devastation. Let's keep Astrobuddy's friends in Breezy Point in our thoughts/prayers - a section of that community caught fire (from live power lines that were down) and apparently over 100 homes have burned as a result! :(

I brought in about 2 dozen water jugs to fill here. At least there is power nearby, if not at my house! :p

Are you and Steve okay over there? :( there's someone I know in New York but I haven't heard from them yet, is the power still out over there?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

When I lived in Maryland, out in the rural areas, every time it thundered, we lost power. :cry: Our street was lined with trees, which the ASPLUNDH guys trimmed every 7 or so years, but still far too infrequently. Even a windy day would leave us in the dark. To make things worse, our house was on the very end of the line on a dead-end street, & was the target for any surges. One night after having lost power, I was outside with a very bright flash light, & noticed the guy from the power company looking around for the transformer at the line's end. I told him it was in our neighbor's front yard, but in the ground. The poor guy hauled that thing out all by himself, & it was rather heavy. He put the new one in, & I told him that our power was all too frequently out. He installed a lightning arrestor, which should have been there all along, & things improved, though the wind and tree branches were still a problem.

I guess it was at least 10 years ago, when a hurricane left us in the dark for at least 4 days. I forgot to mention that we had a well! & were quite acquainted with having many gallons of flush water on hand. That house's bathrooms were all without windows, & the house itself was rather poor in terms of natural lighting, having only small windows. Our home here has 9' ceilings and very good natural lighting. Anyway, that really stank, quite literally, in fact! I spent time at the mall's food court just so I could get away with drinking enough liquids to remain well, as I hated not flushing. I took a back yard shower late at night, & it being summer, the rain was about lukewarm. :blush: I just hated missing even 1 shower, as I am rather self-conscious about the possibility of BO. :blush:

Since moving to Hanover, we have had only a very few power outages, & these were resolved quickly. My 1500 VA UPS has lasted so very long, I assume because it so seldom runs on its battery. I have been through about 3 or 4 others, & was thinking its battery must be old enough to fail, but it keeps working. I have a 2nd one that runs my cable modem & router, & 2 CFLs, so I should have light in a failure, for a while, anyway.

Donguri-chan, you have not told us of your status, I hope your home has power, & am sad that AprilSeven lost hers.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

When I lived in Maryland, out in the rural areas, every time it thundered, we lost power. :cry: Our street was lined with trees, which the ASPLUNDH guys trimmed every 7 or so years, but still far too infrequently. Even a windy day would leave us in the dark. To make things worse, our house was on the very end of the line on a dead-end street, & was the target for any surges. One night after having lost power, I was outside with a very bright flash light, & noticed the guy from the power company looking around for the transformer at the line's end. I told him it was in our neighbor's front yard, but in the ground. The poor guy hauled that thing out all by himself, & it was rather heavy. He put the new one in, & I told him that our power was all too frequently out. He installed a lightning arrestor, which should have been there all along, & things improved, though the wind and tree branches were still a problem.

I guess it was at least 10 years ago, when a hurricane left us in the dark for at least 4 days. I forgot to mention that we had a well! & were quite acquainted with having many gallons of flush water on hand. That house's bathrooms were all without windows, & the house itself was rather poor in terms of natural lighting, having only small windows. Our home here has 9' ceilings and very good natural lighting. Anyway, that really stank, quite literally, in fact! I spent time at the mall's food court just so I could get away with drinking enough liquids to remain well, as I hated not flushing. I took a back yard shower late at night, & it being summer, the rain was about lukewarm. :blush: I just hated missing even 1 shower, as I am rather self-conscious about the possibility of BO. :blush:

Since moving to Hanover, we have had only a very few power outages, & these were resolved quickly. My 1500 VA UPS has lasted so very long, I assume because it so seldom runs on its battery. I have been through about 3 or 4 others, & was thinking its battery must be old enough to fail, but it keeps working. I have a 2nd one that runs my cable modem & router, & 2 CFLs, so I should have light in a failure, for a while, anyway.

Donguri-chan, you have not told us of your status, I hope your home has power, & am sad that AprilSeven lost hers.

Anime Girl 16: I have not enjoyed the TRICK OR TREAT part of Halloween for far too long, as I now live in a retirement community, & nobody bothers with decorations here. :cry:

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

"jeffbert" wrote:Donguri-chan, you have not told us of your status, I hope your home has power, & am sad that AprilSeven lost hers.

I live in England Muffin-chan :lol: I'm as far away from the storm you can get so no need to worry about me.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Back at work, and finally seeing some photos of the devastation. Let's keep Astrobuddy's friends in Breezy Point in our thoughts/prayers - a section of that community caught fire (from live power lines that were down) and apparently over 100 homes have burned as a result! :(

Thank you again, AprilSeven for your kind thoughts and words. We still have not heard any word from our friend, but I would like to wish you best of luck!

I :heart: :astro: :)

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Acorn!! Long time - no see and I miss you so much! No, we don't have power or water. Right now we're running the generator, and I'm using our dial-up account that is terribly slow, but our only access to the Internet until power is restored. It's not fun, but compared to the thousands of people who lost homes and loved ones, it's nothing to complain about. Very cold tonight - glad they topped off the propane so we can run the generator through the night (our little pet birdies could get very sick if they get THAT chilled). Poor Steve - his month-old Wacom tablet just pooped out on him (third failure - poor quality since they shipped the production to China). Off topic though...
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

"Alittleacorn" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;203012]

I live in England Muffin-chan :lol: I'm as far away from the storm you can get so no need to worry about me.[/QUOTE]
:p I hear it rains frequently over there.

Astroboy599
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Astroboy599 » 11 years ago

Got a lot of rain in New hampshire, other than that all good, but i do feel bad to the people down further south
Astro: "Dr. O'shay....... Do I have to do my homework?" O'shay: "yes Astro, you must do your homework" Astro: "darn it!"

鉄腕アトムのルール :astro:
My youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/Aang599?feature=mhee

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

"AprilSeven" wrote:Acorn!! Long time - no see and I miss you so much! No, we don't have power or water. Right now we're running the generator, and I'm using our dial-up account that is terribly slow, but our only access to the Internet until power is restored. It's not fun, but compared to the thousands of people who lost homes and loved ones, it's nothing to complain about. Very cold tonight - glad they topped off the propane so we can run the generator through the night (our little pet birdies could get very sick if they get THAT chilled). Poor Steve - his month-old Wacom tablet just pooped out on him (third failure - poor quality since they shipped the production to China). Off topic though...

I've missed you too, missed talking like we used to. It's been really quiet lately.

And good to know you two are safe at least. I got worried when I heard about the fires ;__;

"jeffbert" wrote::p I hear it rains frequently over there.

More like clouds, lots and lots of clouds.
Last edited by Alittleacorn on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”