Should I Get Windows 10

Off topic discussion.
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 7 years ago

What I've heard is that Windows 10 doesn't work so well on older computers, but computers that come pre-installed with Windows 10 generally work fine.

I have a 2011 laptop with Windows 7 that still works okay, so I won't be upgrading to 10. However, the second battery I've used for it is nearing the end of its life, so I'll probably try to get one more battery for it. I'm thinking about getting a new laptop before the end of the decade; that one will most likely have Windows 10 on it.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 7 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:[QUOTE=Tetsuwan Penguin;240720]I've read that Windows 10 is "ligher weight" than 7 and 8, it will run well on less powerful hardware.

I've heard the same. A relative has an old laptop that is now painfully slow. I thought it wasn't worth it (having tablet, it's not as useful as it used to be) but now I think I'll give it a try anyway.

"jeffbert" wrote:Is the upgrade downloadable without automatically installing it?

Yes. You can either let Windows download it through the OS and install it later, or just search for "Windows 10 download" and you can get it from Microsoft.

You only have 6 more days left to download it for free, however.[/QUOTE]
If I download it before the deadline, can I install it AFTER the deadline?

I have flashed my bios, installed all the device drivers that would install (from DELL'S support page for my PC (which is just over 2 years old)), created an image after upgrading the drivers, so, I should be ready to go W10. Yet, as I had not even begun seriously considering w10 until this past weekend, I would rather not be rushed into it.

At this time, I still use OFFICE XP (202), which has not been supported for several years now, & that fact has made me consider W10 & OFFICE 365. I did find a way to export & import my AUTOCORRECT definitions, & hopefully, it will work with W10 & 365.

EDIT: I just upgraded to w10, & feel blind without my gadgets!

EDIT #2: I just rolled back to W7. I suppose I can again go to 10 without $, but it will be a while. So long as MS provides updates to W7, I will be using that; though I might get OFFICE 365, as my OFFICE 2002, is way old, & long since no longer supported. :ninja:
Last edited by jeffbert on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 7 years ago

I'm on my 4th attempt to install it. I've had no luck so far.

Return to “General Discussion”